Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ticks on animals  (Read 9885 times)

ellie

Ticks on animals
« on: August 05, 2014, 08:16:17 AM »

I had to take my little dog to the vets yesterday, she had a tick on her eyelid, very close to her eyelashes....I would normally remove a tick myself but not one so close to her eye.....
Would advise anyone with pets to check them carefully...My dog had been treated for fleas and ticks, but they can still pick ticks up.

Greyhoundgal

Re: Ticks on animals
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 12:11:51 PM »

Hope your dog is ok - like you we normally remove ticks ourselves but right next to the eye would make me visit a vet as well I think.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 12:15:12 PM »

Our dog used to get them but only when we were in the Lakes  ::) and I began to recognise them as small black dots scurrying around. If they fed and became blue and squishy I would use alcohol/Nuvantop sprap apart from the one over her eye.  The vet put something cold onto a cotton bud and held it agains the blue tick body.

Many years ago I used Nuvantop on a tick and it fell off - somewhere in the carpets  :o

tiger74

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 01:08:22 PM »

Ugh, ticks, vile things  >:(

A tick twister is supposedly the best thing to use to remove ticks completely including the head.  I keep one in my rucksack when we go trekking, just in case.

The lovely veterinary nurses where I work use tick twisters to good effect and don't charge for removal.  :D

ellie

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 01:55:21 PM »

Our Vet nurse also did it free.....I also have a tick remover, that way you can be sure to get the whole thing out.
 I had treated our dog only two weeks ago against ticks and flees, but the nurse was saying always check as it doesn't always work against ticks.... And that was proved on our dog.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »

Oh dear  ::) none of the chemicals that we put onto our pets will prevent ticks, fleas etc. jumping on, taking a bite and jumping off again.  What the chemicals should do is stop those infestations breeding.  Some interrupt the breeding cycle, others simple poison the critter trying to take a feed.

Sadly my dog died of lymphoma and I do wonder if all the chemicals added to her system was the cause  :-\.  Also frontline almost killed my little cat ……...

ellie

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »

Sorry about your cat CLKD........
Until a better solution comes about, what can we do but treat our pets against the nasty critters.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »

I gave my dog garlic capsules.  Supposed to keep fleas away which is why long dogs often wear bandanas which are soaked in garlic oil.  One can buy very good flea combs and 'buzzes' which is what I used subsequently.  I wouldn't use chemicals again unless I could see fleas etc. and for ticks would use a 'Q'-tip soaked in alcohol, spot on to the tick body.  My dog had a pale coat so fleas were easy to spot and very therapeutic to remove  ;)

ellie

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 03:07:54 PM »

Ok yuk, I know I wouldn't find it therapeutic picking flees off my dog, and don't want them getting in the carpets etc....
Couldn't use a flee comb on her as her fur is thick and long,,and garlic pearls didnt work on our last dog.....but my DH takes them and he hasn't got fleas  :)
So although I don't like using flee treatments, I see no option sadly  :(

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »

I keep my dog out of long grass in the summer and that reduces the risk.

I agree about picking flees of a dog's coat. Yuk. First sign of flees and they  would be treated damn quick. How would you know they were not falling onto your carpet. Makes me itch just thinking about it.

I wonder if a tea tree oil shampoo might work. Did the trick with my kids when they were small.......never had any head lice.  ;D

I use frontline and always have done..Always worked on my dogs.

Honeyb
x

bev567901

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 03:50:29 PM »

Awwww poor dog. I hate it when I get right deep in the garden borders as I always think a tick will jump on me! Nasty creatures, I use advocate or frontline. When we first moved here there where fleas in the attic & it took us a while to realise we where bringing them down every time we went up pre having a new roof & getting rid of the birds nests. We frontlined old Timmy & let him wander about upstairs & they went!!! B x

ellie

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 04:10:20 PM »

Do you know what ladies.........I am ITCHING like crazy  :rofl:

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 05:42:17 PM »

;D ……. do you know that fleas, if flushed down the loo, can remain on the surface tension of the water and if flushed in the sink, they jump back up and land on the ceramic  :D ………… I used to take fleas out of the coat and dip them into a tall glass of cold water.  Therapeutic.  If you want fleas removed, I'm your Girl  ;)

Chemicals - would you put them onto your skin, we see so much here about not using parabens etc. on ourselves   â€¦â€¦â€¦  :-\ ……. do you use chemicals on your animals on an 'probable' basis or when you see critters in the coat ………

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 07:13:33 PM »

I treat my dog twice a year with Frontline. I have always flee treated my dogs and I've had a good few over the years. Up till now none of my dogs have ever had flees.
To hand pick them out and then drown them......Sorry CLKD that's disgusting and given the fact there are probably thousands..... :-\. Life is way too short unless you are a monkey.

As for putting chemicals on your skin. Yes, we all do every day, skin creams, body lotions, shampoo, bubble bath,. Toothpaste, deodorant, hair removal cream. I could go on........Flee treatment.....ummm, don't think it's any worse. Our animals have a whole lot fewer chemicals put on them in a day/week/year.....than we do.

Honeyb
x

ellie

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 08:49:04 PM »

;D honeybun ....you just saying '' unless you are a Monkey '' ......has got me laughing again..
Pages: [1] 2