Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: My specs are driving me scatty  (Read 8515 times)

Joyce

My specs are driving me scatty
« on: August 04, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »

Is it possible to become allergic to nose pads on specs? I'm getting very itchy dry patches on my nose where my specs sit on my nose. It's driving me insane. Would I be better off with the newer plastic frames which don't have nose pads? I was offered plastic frames last year, but couldn't find style to suit me, but wish I'd gone with them now. Hindsight is wonderful.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: My specs are driving me scatty
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 02:52:22 PM »

The pads rarely stay on my reading glasses anyway, the pair I have on have 1 pad present, the other long gone  ::).  I find that the pads make a mark on my nose ……….  :( which itch ……… = cream application

Dyan

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »

I have plastic frames and I find them really comfortable.
You don't get the pinch and marks like you do with nose pads.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 05:10:57 PM »

Will definitely need to change frames next time round.

ariadne

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 08:18:39 PM »

I changed to glasses without nose pads as I thought they would stop me getting red dents in the sides of my nose but although they are more comfortable, I still have large red dents in the side of my nose - one of which gets a small split in it too. I've had the glasses adjusted but of course you can't change the angle of the fixed nose grips themselves and the adjustment hasn't really helped

Could it be  the hot weather and sweat making the skin sore and itchy under the pads?

Ariadne xx

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 09:09:38 PM »

I was going to say the same as ariadne.

I have both types. One wire framed and nose pads and one plastic. They both hurt my nose no matter how often I have them adjusted.
The plastics ones seem much heavier so I'm not sure what I will go for next time round. I only wear for reading though.

I think it's just the joy of glasses though.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 09:20:51 PM »

Hand held eye glasses anyone?  ::) Awfy posh & a pain to fit in your handbag!  ;D

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »

Mine were never comfy, no matter what I did - had eyes lasered about 3 years ago now and have never looked back :)  Wish I'd done it years ago ::)

purplenanny

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »

I have often wondered about laser eye treatment, but dont think i am brave enough! How did you decide where to go for it? Were both eyes done on same day? How long had you worn glasses? Sorry for the barrage of questions Greyhoundgal
PN x x

ariadne

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 09:46:19 PM »

Ooh, I meant to say as well that you could ask your optician to change the nose pads for hypoallergenic ones which might cause less irritation. I remember having some after I complained my nose was sore.

Ariadne xx

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 10:08:34 PM »

Thanks for that Ariadne.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 12:34:07 PM »

I have often wondered about laser eye treatment, but dont think i am brave enough! How did you decide where to go for it? Were both eyes done on same day? How long had you worn glasses? Sorry for the barrage of questions Greyhoundgal
PN x x

My husband did it first so I could gauge his pain level and reaction to it - we chose Optimax as there was a branch fairly local to us.  We both opted to get both eyes done at the same time and although there was a certain amount of pain immediately afterwards it was bearable (akin to a large amount of salt water in your eye so just stinging really) and they give you plenty of eye-drops including a pain-relief one.  I'd worn glasses since I was 14 (now 53) and I had been wearing varifocals prior to that.  You can have the treatment done so that it counters that by having one eye "under-done" and one eye "over-done" but it was explained that some people find that unsettling so I chose to have them both treated the same - does mean I sometimes need reading glasses now but I'm sitting here at work on my PC and can see that just fine - really small print or print on coloured backgrounds is the hardest to read.  If you want any more info please pm me - happy to pass on my experiences :)