Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lights out tonight  (Read 11826 times)

bramble

Re: Lights out tonight
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 03:10:23 PM »

I think it is important to remember those who gave so much. Not sure if the men of today would be so willing to sacrifice their lives and way of life......................

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 03:16:42 PM »

I don't know, enough seem to be joining up even though we are more aware of the horrors these days.  When the Falklands issue arose and more recently, lads were keen to 'go'. 

Claireylou

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 03:59:26 PM »

When I light my candle tonight it won't just be to reflect on the brave souls who fought in WW1 but also every war since. Including my dear brave brother who lost his life in the Falklands.

It's a time for reflection and rememberance and I hope that those awake will silently give thanks for what those poor men went through .......

Winterose

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »

Yes we all need to focus on all those who gave their lives and then also those who returned hugely physically and mentally damaged from every war and the families who they either did or did not return to, up here in Scotland its still quite light then if its not cloudy,

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 05:35:38 PM »

Claireylou - tell us more about your brother?

Claireylou

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 05:49:52 PM »

He was one of the welsh guards killed on board the Sir Galahad CLKD

He was 20 years old. Never signed up to become a hero. Signed up because he was a proud Welshman who believed in hard work and his country.

He will always be a hero in my eyes xxx
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:55:20 PM by Claireylou »

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »

It crossed my mind that he was there ……….. those images remain vivid. Have you been down there?

Claireylou

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 06:04:02 PM »

No I just couldn't bring myself to visit. My other brother has been though and says its a very deeply emotional place. Once seen never forgotten. I have remained very close to some of his other comrades who were lucky enough to survive, even god mum to one gorgeous little boy who's father survived.

I'm saying they were lucky to survive but oh my some have been totally emotionally wrecked by what they saw. Families broken down, nervous breakdowns, all sorts  :'(

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 06:18:57 PM »

So sorry about your brother CL. We will remember him tonight along with all the other brave souls.

So now you know a little bit more CLKD will you be lighting your candle to honour those who gave their lives.

Honeyb
x

Claireylou

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »

Honeybun Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm very touched.

Claireylou xxx

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »

I am watching the singing on BBC 2 now.  In English and German with lovely scenery, weather looks lovely.  Such organisation to make something so tender go smoothly.

I remember Simon Weston going back …….. very emotional, so bleak ………. we meet people from the Falkland Islands at Bird Fair …….. they say it's a lovely place for a holiday ……….. I am glad you are in touch with others Claireylou ………. does it make you feel any closer to your brother?

Claireylou

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 07:36:48 PM »

Yeah I think so. Buts it's anniversaries like this. The silence and reflection when everyone is soo busy and rushing around. Actually sitting still, thinking, remembering. These are the times that really make you think about those lost xxx

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »

Looks like I'll be up as I am watching the Service from Westminster.  A place I've never been into.  I would have been no good, waiting at home: if DH is in any way 'later' than expected  :'( - I panic.

Rowan

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 10:36:44 AM »

We observed the "lights out" last night, for all the brave Service men and women ( and civilians) who have lost their lives, past and present and 

future, because the world has not learned.

Our Service men and women today are just as as brave as their predecessors.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »

Yep.  Whilst last night's memorial programme was on, 'they' were 'at it' in the Middle East  :'( ……. apparently there's a cease fire  :-\ but for how long.

Has anyone seen the ceramic poppies falling out of the Tower of London?  Will remain there until 11 November.
Pages: 1 [2] 3