Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: day out today panic!  (Read 5666 times)

2cats

day out today panic!
« on: August 03, 2014, 11:50:39 AM »

Hi all,

We have a lovely day out planned for today but my anxiety has reared its ugly head and I'm starting to catastrophise again!  My chest is tight and I feel close to tears at the thought of the long day, the crowds and that I might feel panicked...

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
 :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: day out today panic!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »

Do you have any Rescue Remedy mouth spray?  Maybe your GP could give you some Valium-type medication for an as-necessary basis, too late for 2-day but .........

It always hits me on important events.  I want to go see a friend playing at a folk club in November  :o and already I'm churning inside  :'( b...er it  :-X

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »

2cats - rather than concentrating on the long day, think I'll go and see how I get on.
You can always come away if it gets too much.

meno lesley

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 01:24:13 PM »

That's what I do Limpy, come away when it gets too much. Never used to be like it, I used to stay at things to the bitter end, can't handle it these days xxx

SueRoe

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:35:21 PM »

I do sympathise 2cats - it's a horrid feeling that you describe. I feel the same when faced with any obligation/appointment; a feeling of being trapped. I feel particularly overwhelmed by crowds, noise, queues and traffic jams. I find it helps to have a pair of earplugs with me. Only useful in some circs obviously. I don't often use them but knowing I can muffle the kerfuffle (!) if I need to helps. They won't make you deaf to everything but will soften the edges of the din enormously. Helps if your hair is long enough to hide them though -  they're not a good look! Good luck, the day probably won't be as bad as you think.  x   

kiltgirl

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 04:12:35 PM »

Good luck 2cats,

maybe some yoga breathing might help, or some centering exercises if you feel panicky...my counsellor recommended these for me for my bus trip to work, always found it so hard to breathe!

Things like 'just being' and being aware of the noises around you, without judging them good or bad in anyway, just observing...smells...the feel of your feet in your shoes, your eyelids, hands etc...prob sounds really silly, but it's hard to panic about external things when you're focused on these.

I know not the easiest thing to concentrate on when in a crowd.
I guess just see how much you can take and leave, and don't beat yourself up for leaving early if you have to.

x

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 04:27:05 PM »

I've found an app which helps me. It gets you to control your breathing. 

kiltgirl

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »

I've found an app which helps me. It gets you to control your breathing. 

oh what's it called cubagirl? wouldn't mind having a look x

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 04:40:05 PM »

Was trying to remember this earlier - just found it,
it might help

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8454.0.html

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »

Did you go?  Did you stay?  :hug:

2cats

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »

Hi all,
Thanks so much for your great advice and words of kindness.  I tried to sign in to MM on my phone whilst I was there and feeling panicked but password didn't work!
Anyway, I stayed till the very end so another triumph over anxiety (with the aid of 3 x 2.5mg of valium!!)
Drive was fine, walking in was fine, only when in the centre of things and the cacophony of thumping music, shouting, hoards of people did I feel overwhelmed and retreated as fast as I could to a quieter spot whilst we ate our picnic.  With a full belly and a top up of valium we tried again!  Can't say that at points I didn't think...I want to go home, but recognising them as anxious thoughts, I shoved them to one side and carried on. 
So overall I really enjoyed the day and as I am in a really dodgy phase atm, I feel pretty chuffed with my achievement. 
On the inside of my hand I had written: I am brave, I have a lot of strength, I can get through this...and it certainly helped to have a sneaky peak when necessary. 
So please take this as a personal thank you to all of you - the mindfulness, rescue remedy, breathing exercises, not putting pressure on myself to stay and so on...all taken on board .  xxx

SueRoe

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »

I'm so pleased for you! X

2cats

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 11:59:32 AM »

your earplugs would have been very welcome yesterday Freda!  It's not the loud music persay...just the mix of too many different loud sounds together that throws me!
Gotta laugh or else I'd cry (again)!!!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 12:37:48 PM »

:medal: you will probably feel shattered for a few days, I find that events like yours leave me drained: if I'm OK before then I feel very tried after.  YOU DID IT - well done!

2cats

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 01:17:02 PM »

Thanks for the medal CLKD, that made me smile :)  You're not wrong about being shattered- I've just turned the tele off and got washed and dressed (it's 2.15pm)!!  No work today so taking it easy...
Once again MM members have been so helpful. xx

Pages: [1] 2