Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Keeping fish  (Read 6915 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Keeping fish
« on: August 02, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »

We kept guppies for years.  Our 1 female birthed 63 one Sat. lunchtime, became 62 when 1 swam round the front and Mum ate it  :o.  However, tanks are not easy to keep clean.  They look great when first set up  ::)

Do you want a tank on a stand?  In a corner or central to the room?  Enough plug points as you will need a heater and a pump.  We have had guppies, neon tetras, disc fish, Siamese fighters and tiger barbs.  Apparently and I was totally unaware of the fact that some 'clear' fish are injected with a coloured dye before being imported into the UK! the RSPCA know about the practice but are powerless to act.  Many fish die before they reach the UK  :'(

If possible source fish bred in the UK - less air miles.  Visit a several fish shop several times before buying, check the state of the fish in the tanks and see how good their turn-over is. We have 1 locally which always appears busy but I can never get 'good' advice or assistance!    Do they take fish back if they do outgrow their tank! I have only, in 25+ years of fish keeping, only recently did I find a Company that do a swap system !

It can be relaxing, sitting, watching fish in a tank.  I found keeping the pebbles clean was the biggest chore, even with a small 'hoovereryyy  thingy' which ran off the pump.  There are lots of glass cleaners on the market which can take algae off.  Our tank was in a corner so out of the sun but still the algae grew  ::).  I did move the goldfish into my bedroom in the years I couldn't sleep but they were SO noisy  ;D - not only did the light keep me awake but their constant picking up of pebbles from the bottom, taking them to the top and dropping them  ;D …… I think the tank lasted 3 nights before we emptied and hauled it all back into the lounge.

Marines are very difficult, a 24/7 commitment.

Goldfish are probably easier to keep.   But they can out-grow their space which requires a pond  ;)

honeybun

Re: Keeping fish
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »

Ok, you have just put me off CLKD.  ;D.  I have been swithering for ages as I want another pet. Hubby says I am suffering from empty nest syndrome as my kids are hardly ever here.
I have even considered a chinchilla. Only trouble is my dog would probably kill anything that came any where near her mum.

Guess I need to get a hobby. Suggestions anyone  ;D

Honeyb
x

ellie

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:05:14 PM »

Don't be put off honeybun.....Once your tank is set up, it takes an hour every couple of weeks  to maintain it.  I personally prefer tropical fish to goldfish.
   I used to belong to a tropical fish club and bred fish.......
I find watching my fish very relaxing.....I have a corner tank and stand, and just keep peaceful community fish....

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »

Empty nest syndrome - parrot then?  ;)

Any pet needs commitment.  Fish are relaxing, even a tank of weed gently wafting can be peaceful.  Community fish .......... that's the expression; thanks Ellie.  Have you ever come across 'dyed' fish?  :'(. It was new to me.

What did you breed?  Tetras are lovely in many colours but apparently they need a completely clean tank with 1 stone on which to lay their eggs  ::).. I would suggest guppies for a 'starter'. 

Chinchillas are great but very fast (as are chipmunks, gekoes etc.).  They need a tray of fresh sand in which to roll, in the wild this keeps their fur free of pests ........ a friend has a chameleon but it doesn't do very much  ::).  Turtles need fresh water daily and carry salmonella. 

My stick insects were peaceful, only moved around at night and fascinated me. Didn't eat privet though, preferring rose and hawthorn - not much good in the winter then! so had to make do with ivy.

ellie

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »

Yes Guppies are great starter fish,especially as they produce babies ( not eggs),as are Platties.....I bred Cyclids for a while.
 I have heard of dyed fish......though not seen any about for a long time. They inject the fish, a horrible practice  :(
  If anyone is thinking of taking up fish keeping, I think stay away from the big stores, most of the assistants haven't a clue what they are selling.
 I will try and put a piccie of my tank on....

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 08:33:06 PM »

Have a good look round the different stores, we use 'water world' as they seem knowledgeable.  Asking at the Vet's might be the way to go.  Pets at Home can give advice too as they are Vet based.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 07:02:21 PM »

I found a really good book on keeping tank fish in a charity shop today, too heavy to post to you though  :-\ - maybe have a browse in your Library or 2nd-hand book shops?

We've spent a lot of time by our ponds either in the shade reading or in the sun watching the fish.