Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estriol  (Read 6353 times)

northwest1965

Estriol
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »

I was originally prescribed these over 2 and half years ago. I used them for a while and then things seemed to get better. I then went on to using a lubricant. Now a year or so on, I feel as though I need help and need to go back to using the Estriol.

I found a dozen in the drawer and have started using them again (while waiting to see the doctor later this month). However I have noticed they have made me feel bloated (just like when you have periods)

Is this a side effect of them?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Estriol
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:32:20 PM »

I haven't noticed any alteration fortunately.  (Orthogynest) . which has now been discontinued  ::) so off to see the GP on Monday ……..

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:45:21 PM »

Estriol is a very weak oestrogen so should not cause severe side effects.  Also there should be minimal systemic absorption of all vaginal oestrogen if used properly and beyond the initial loading phase. However if you are lacking in oestrogen and your VA is quite bad ( ie vaginal walls have thinned) then some initial systemic absorption may occur, and you may also experience mild side effects. Provided you use them properly ( ie one a day for a fortnight then twice a week thereafter) side effects should settle.

As CLKD says these (Orthogynest pessaries) have been discontinued so when your current batch run out you will need to use Gynest or Ovestin cream to provide the same treatment.

Are you post-menopausal?

Hurdity x

northwest1965

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:08:48 PM »

Are you post-menopausal?

Hurdity x

Haven't had a period for 4yrs, (before that time I had a mirena coil). Hot flushes are few and far between.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »

VA will not get better without local oestrogen.

Keep on with the pessaries and hopefully things will improve for you soon!

Hurdity x

northwest1965

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »

I went to see a doctor last week. I explained I was on Estriol and that I now thought I  needed something.

He was very puzzled, didn't know why Estriol had been discontinued and didn't know what to prescribe me. He literally asked me what I wanted instead. My reply "you're the doctor"  ::) He then called the pharmacy who said I should have Vagifem.

He was very abrupt, I was on the verge of making a complaint.

Anyway I now have my Vagifem but have not started using it. I have read all the side effects. I have also done some research about migraines, hair loss, increased risks etc etc.

Surely the doctor should have told me about the side effects, discussed my family history. It says that it shouldn't be used if you have had gallstones. I have and had gall bladder removed (I presume that it's Ok for me to take?)

Am I just worrying over nothing?

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 03:20:24 PM »

Is it this that's worrying you?

"Hepatic/Biliary/Pancreatic
Gallbladder diseases
A 2- to 4-fold increase in the risk of gallbladder disease requiring surgery in women receiving
postmenopausal estrogens has been reported. "

If you've had your gall bladder removed then you are not at risk of developing gall stones. The leaflet is the same as for full strength HRT which is known to increase the possibility of gall bladder disease but it's not thought that the small amount of oestrogen in Vagifem is absorbed enough to affect the rest of the body. Further in the leaflet it's down as a condition to be monitored.

It does get very confusing but like all pharmaceutical companies they have to cover their back.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 07:09:19 PM »

Hi northwest1965

Just to say again ref my post below - I wasn't clear and obviously your doc is not clued up either! It is just the Orthogynest pessaries which have been discontinued - you can still get Estriol in the form of Gynest cream or Ovestin cream. The dose is administered through an applicator which you load with the cream and insert up vagina as with all vag oestrogens. So if you want Estriol - ask for one of thse creams - but they are a bit less convenient than the pessaries.

If you decide to use the Vagifem instead (which contains oestradiol) then really no need to worry - as Taz says they put the same warnings on all forms of HRT and all types and strengths of oestrogen - which isn't very helpful to us!

Hurdity x

northwest1965

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »

If you decide to use the Vagifem instead (which contains oestradiol) then really no need to worry - as Taz says they put the same warnings on all forms of HRT and all types and strengths of oestrogen - which isn't very helpful to us!

Hurdity x

I have read quite a lot of people complaining about hair loss on a major scale. Also migraines. I guess unless I try it for myself, I am not going to know. :)