Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Weight Gain and HRT  (Read 4115 times)

Alecmac1

Weight Gain and HRT
« on: July 29, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »

I'm interested in what people have experienced with weight gain on the Eleste Duo. Many people have said it is a myth but I must disagree as like some others. I was initially taking premique but after 2 weeks my stomach looked like I was 6+ months pregnant! it was that bad that it was pushing up under my ribs. Dr changed me to Elleste duo and while on the white pills my stomach started to return to normal and I felt fine although I had put on 8 pounds from starting any HRT. I weighed myself last Thursday then started the green tablets which I don't like too much and yesterday weighed myself and have put on 4 pounds in 4 days! Now I don't mind getting a bigger chest but my stomach and thighs are uncomfortable. Has anyone experienced this crazy weight gain? Before anyone says I need to watch what I am eating, I have been at the same weight for years and had been eating only salad and protein for 2 weeks! How is this possible? If anyone has experienced this have they found any other HRT that makes you feel so much better without the weight gain? It's taken me 3 years with major symptoms and trying of herbal remedies to finally get the Dr to prescribe me HRT. I am peri menopausal and 44, I finally conceived at 38 after 10+ years of trying and have not felt that I could enjoy my 6 year old for the last 3 years. I can't believe the difference I have felt again towards my daughter since taking HRT and really feel I missed out so much on those happy early days. Now my unhappy feeling is only towards my weight gain......any ideas?

Taz2

Re: Weight Gain and HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:10:07 PM »

Hi Alecmac

The green tablets are the progesterone ones and can lead to weight gain and bloatedness before you have a bleed. Did you suffer from bloatedness when you were in your natural cycle? You may find that it is water retention and will disappear again once you stop the progesterone containing tabs. I always used to put up to five lbs on during the run up to a period and this was the same when I was on sequi HRT and leading up to a bleed.

I did put weight on when on HRT but only half a stone but I think this was more to do with my age rather than the HRT. Some HRT's do cause more weight gain than others but this is all down to the individual so if it's something that you really can't cope with it might be worth trying a different one.

Have a good look around the forum  - you will find lots of help and advice on here. You may like to introduce yourself under New Members too.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Alecmac1

Re: Weight Gain and HRT
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:30:12 PM »

Thanks for your responses, as new to the site wasn't sure how to ask questions or that I should introduce myself lol
I never really suffered with bloating before and might put on 1/2 pounds toward my bleed but this is crazy.
Interesting that Femoston has been mentioned as I have seen this in many posts.
Will defo speak to Dr again although I do feel like They are not expert in this field.