Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Just what I needed!  (Read 1621 times)

HanaBop

Just what I needed!
« on: July 24, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »

Just checking in to say hello, I'm new.  After spending the past 2 years thinking that I was going out of my mind and ending up being prescribed anti depressants which I am free of now, it's good to hear that I am normal after all!

My story started after hitting 44, I moved into a more demanding role, went through an organisational restructure, experienced a couple of sad passings of family relations and colleagues and then started with what at the time, I didn't know as symptoms of the onset of the menopause.  Hots flashes during the night, feelings all over the place including crying at the drop of a hat, this began to spill over into my work life and at that point I thought it was stress but kept on soldiering on, like us women often do! Anyway, eventually it affected me so bad that one morning after another sleepless night I found myself unable to face going to work. From then on I took a couple of weeks off sick which I had never done in the whole of my working life and ended up in occupational health having a spell of CBT, going to the GP being diagnosed with anxiety and depression and making a few career and lifestyle changes. 

It's 12 months on now and I have stopped the medication, although it did stop the hot flashes funnily enough but although they are now back, at least I know what they are now. I have reduced my hours, taken a lighter workload so my work life balance has improved dramatically, bought a dog to walk daily who brings joy into my life, began running, taken up yoga and started to make time for friends and family - this has really helped me get back on track and with your help and the recognition that i am not the only one, I feel sure that although I still suffer the usual symptoms everything is actually going to be ok.

I wish you all the same realisation and offer my friendship. :bighug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Just what I needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 04:14:31 PM »

:welcomemm:  are you State-side?  Have a browse round, read the menus - left of screen.  Some ADs do ease hot flushes/flashes so don't dismiss them completely  ;)

Tell us more about your dog too!

Hurdity

Re: Just what I needed!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »

Hi HanaBop

:welcomemm:

Have your periods become irregular as well? If so then you perhpas you should think about taking some replacement oestrogen as HRT - because at your young age you need to ensure you have enough oestrogen especially to help protect your bones, if you are having an early menopause?

Hurdity x