Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hot weather and menopause  (Read 14611 times)

honeybun

Hot weather and menopause
« on: July 24, 2014, 12:57:14 PM »

I have now been on a half patch for about six months. I have been doing ok with regards to flushes although sleeping is not wonderful.

Since this really hot weather has arrived I have found my ability to cope with it is not good. I love the sun and living in Scotland I appreciate every little bit we get as the winters can be long and grey.

My flushes are back with a vengeance, not so much in the day but in the evening. Is this just down to the hot weather ?

It's my face and head that sweat the most. I end up with mad hair and it makes me feel yuk.

Anyone else noticing an increase in symptoms that were previously controlled.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hot weather and menopause
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:59:40 PM »

Hot weather affects me generally, love to C it but am soon weary.  I don't sweat a lot anyway but this week my head, neck, shoulders are affected.  I don't have flushes thank goodness!  I get irritable in hot weather too  :-\

Do you have ice blocks/bags of peas to cuddle in the evening?

sharon1958

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:05:01 PM »

Feeling the same Honeyb. I used to be a sun worshipper and couldn't get enough of it but now I can't seem to tolerate it anymore and definitely feel it's to do with the menopause. I've recently changed from Femonston Conti to Tibolone and I also don't think they are working aswell unfortunately  :(
Our daughter is getting married next month abroad  - it's going to be very hot - I just hope that as mother of the bride I don't look a big sweaty mess!!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 05:31:02 PM »

Oh honeybun and ladies - I do agree. I've been off HRT for over 9 months now and I was doing really well but this horrid humidity is really making me exhausted - can't sleep as I feel as though my legs are going to explode. If I'm in the sun my head and torso gets really sweaty - it's ghastly. I live by the sea and today there has been a lovely cool breeze - so much better - but I dread going to bed at night - it's torture.
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 05:52:05 PM »

Hot weather is bound to make the effects of flushes etc worse and anyone who is suffering has my sympathy. I am still a sun worshipper and on HRT so the heat doesn't affect me (well no more than expected with 31 deg in the shade!), and I count myself lucky.

I would be pouring cold water over myself wherever and whenever possible - hard if you have to work in an office though!

Don't forget this is exceptional weather for everyone and hopefully you will all be able to cope a bit better when it cools down a bit...

Hurdity  x

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 06:01:05 PM »

Honeyb - I am on full HRT and am still finding this hot weather difficult.
Then I feel guilty, the weather is beautiful I should be able to cope.
I keep on having to go into darkened rooms, goodness knows what I'd do if I had to go out to work.

Sleeping is more difficult than usual and don't get me started on :bed: It ain't gonna happen, just too hot and sweaty. Think (but not sure) OH feels the same....................
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:03:15 PM by Limpy »

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 06:20:28 PM »

I was the one slowly frying covered in baby oil when I was young.  ::)  Sun screen was never mentioned then.
I was always able to tolerate the heat and loved it.

Now I'm a sweaty mess and it makes me feel vaguely unwell. I'm dreading mother's in the morning as its a busy day in the heat.

Going to try a cool shower before bed tonight. The third of the day. Ridiculous....It's Scotland for heaven's sake.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 07:24:45 PM »

I got way too hot yesterday and felt dire.
Today have more of an effort to stay cool so feel better.
Good luck at your mother's tomorrow HB.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 07:59:20 PM »

The heat burns off energy which we don't replace!  So plenty of drink and bananas, nuts, fruits ………

Dippie

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 08:38:36 PM »

I didn't have hot flashes until a week ago.

I lived in Arizona without air conditioning and amazed people with how well I coped. It's always been cold that I can't stand.

Um....not any more. I'm hoping for abnormally low heating bills this winter.

Wish I could keep my zen this well about all the other symptoms.

Linsey44

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 09:21:01 PM »

Hi Sharon 1958 I too am on tibolone and since your body breaks down the tab to 'produce hormones' it differs from most hrt preparations in that it doesnt give a pre-measured / steady dose of hormones.

My gynae consultant told me no-one knows how much hormone your body will make as what we eat and drink can affect it on a daily basis etc.

I have been on it 3 months and have experimented to see what time of day is best to take tibolone.  I have found taking it with a glass of water just before bed is best for me.

The hot weather hasnt increased the  number /severity of flushes i have, if anything I think tibolone is working quite well most days.  Def better when I dont have so many hot drinks /caffeine or alcohol.

Rowan

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 09:20:22 AM »

I think I have coped pretty well with heat except sleeping at night, my bedroom is south facing and stores up the heat, even with fan full blast it just seems to move the warm air around.

One thing I have notice this year is that for the first time for years my ankles have not swelled in the heat, I can only put this down to gradually coming off the estrogen, practically off it now and using natural progesterone cream, I just rub a dab on each inner fore arm when I go to bed and up to a few night ago I was sleeping soundly. I hastily add that this works for me and I am not advocating it .

I have always loved the sun and coped pretty well through my menopause in it, then went through a period when I could not sit in it as I use to, now its much better and my tolerance has increased, discounting those hot airless nights we have had lately, but I think every one is suffering at the moment except those who are lucky enough to have Air Con or lucky enough to have a breeze off the sea ( my dream)  :)

One thing I do recommend is 4711 iced cologne stick I am never without it in summer, it reminds me of childhood days when my mum was always rubbing it on us when we lived overseas and when we had hot summers in the UK. its very refreshing and cooling.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:11:40 AM by silverlady »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 12:30:20 PM »

:-\  it makes me smelly  :-X

ariadne

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 12:54:16 PM »

My hot flushes ended a couple of years ago but this hot weather has had me sweating buckets! I'm way hotter than anyone else around me and like you HB, my scalp runs with sweat and makes my hair go "fat" and frizzy. I'm Ok outside with a bit of air around but when I am indoors, I can feel a layer of sweat on my neck, back and forehead which makes me feel miserable and dirty somehow. Its especially bad when trying to cook dinner in a hot kitchen.

Hubby is fed up of me saying "feel my neck" and asking him if he feels as hot as me (dangerous question  ;D)

My son hates hot weather and sunshine. His bedroom is so very hot too and we've tried all sorts to cool it down apart from air conditioning which is too expensive. Air coolers and most fans have proved too noisy for sleeping. Leaving doors and windows open upstairs to create a draught works until he wants to sleep then he has to have the door closed - cant sleep with his bedroom door open he says. I want to have a ceiling fan put in his room but hubby says it will be too much hassle as the loft above is boarded and has a very thick layer of insulation material over it. I never thought ceiling fans much good until we went to Spain and found that the little breeze they create is just enough to enable me to sleep comfortably, so now I'm a "fan" - get it  ;)

Ariadne xx

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 01:07:42 PM »

Cooking is a nightmare at the moment. I also feel dirty too. Three showers yesterday. I now know what eyebrows are for, the stop the sweat running into your eyes.
My flushes have been awful. I ripped off my half patch and now have on 3/4. Hope it works soon.
Weather to be cooler tomorrow.

Taz must be laughing at us all suffering when we all long for good weather and blue skies in the dark winter days  ;D

Honeyb
x
Pages: [1] 2 3