Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: can any one explain how HRT works please ?  (Read 4091 times)

pebbles

can any one explain how HRT works please ?
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:45 PM »

I have just had worst night of my life, awoken at least four times with sweats that kept me awake for hours. if this goes on i will seriously consider HRT!
I have been taking soya isoflavoids for some time and thought that they were working but apparently not. I still have regular period although they do only last two days now.
I wasnt keen on hrt as i am worried about putting on weight but am now not sure.
My question is does taking HRT not just delay the inevitable? Does the symptoms not just come back when you stop taking it after 5 years ? I am confused how it works, i realise that it supplements your hormones but dont understand what happens when you stop it?
Many thanks
L

Dancinggirl

Re: can any one explain how HRT works please ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:13:09 AM »

Hi and welcome pebbles
Firstly I would recommend you read all the info under the headings to the left of this screen - it really helps to be clued up about the menopause and possible treatments.
To answer your questions:
HRT replaces the hormones that your body is no longer producing and this then reduces the nasty meno symptoms.
Depending on your age you don't necessarily have to come off HRT after 5years - new recommendations come through in the not too distant future. As for delaying the menopause - yes, in a sense you are but once you are in post meno the hormones will not be fluctuating which can be particularly challenging through peri meno ( like you). When it is time to come off HRT you can gradually reduce the hormones you take over time to help the body adjust. You must bare in mind that for some ladies, even if they don't take HRT, the meno symptoms can continue for many years so to have even a few years of symptom relief and therefore better quality of life, HRT can be worth taking. 
Every women is different and HRT does bring side effects. You won't necessarily put on weight although many find you can feel a little more 'plumped up' - unfortunately one tends to put on weight around the menopause anyway :'(  It can take time to find the right hormone balance but again I would do some research on this site.
Some GPs are still very reluctant to prescribe HRT as they hark back to 2002 when there were the scares over breast cancer but the research responsible for the scares was flawed so largely discredited.
Taking HRT is a personal choice but I've never found that isoflavoids or any herbs work - I spent a lot of money trying them and as one of our members said "if these things worked they would be prescribed on the NHS."  Heathly diet and regular exercise is vital though.
Keep asking questions.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »

Hi pebbles

Just to say I agree with what Dancinggirl says!

I'm still on it age 61 and have been on it since just under 54. Unless there is a personal medical reason to come off - it is your decision, and the risks do not begin to outweight the benefits generally until over 70.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

Hurdity x

pebbles

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »

Thank you Hurdity for taking the time to reply to me and for link with risks etc. it was was helpful.
wishing you well.
Pebbles

renee

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »

Hi Pebbles,

I started taking HRT about 2 years ago and it has really helped me feel like myself again....this is my 2nd type of HRT and dosage but overall Im happy enough taking it.

Before taking it, I felt I was losing my identity, health and my mental state wasn't good at all. I would look in the mirror and didn't recognise myself anymore. I spoke to a few different docs before I decided to take it and tried alternative meds but after a while I just needed me back...so I started to take it.

I had about 15 different symptoms of the menopause and felt my quality of life at 45 wasn't great because of it. Bloods confirmed it and after having to get my head around it all....well I haven't looked back.

I was told by my doc that I can take it up until the natural age of menopause then stop and re look at how I am then....so until then Im taking it!

Take care Pebbles xx :)

pebbles

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »

Thank you Renee for your reply. I know i should do something but am so scared of putting on weight. did you notice any chance to your weight? My mental health is so poor and i just cannot make a decision. Even at the hair dressers to day i felt such a fool as i couldnt decide what i wanted !

renee

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »

Hi Pebbles,

Bet your hair turned out lovely anyway. X

I put on a bit of weight before taking HRT due to bloating water retention and just sitting about more because I was always so tired. I have an under active thyroid too so I too watch my weight etc.

Being on HRT has given me my energy back, and now I seem to be on the correct dosage for now Im out walking just about every day which has helped my anxiety and overall mental health.

I say right dosage for now as things can change with the menopause from month to month which can mean changing your HRT a few times....worth a try though Pebbles.

Life is for living now...as no one knows what's around the corner. Xxxx

pebbles

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 08:39:40 PM »

Thank you Renee, i wish you well.

renee

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 05:52:50 PM »

Thank you Pebbles x

kiltgirl

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »

Thank you for this thread  :)

has answered a few questions floating around in my half-brain too

great description DG x