Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 3806 times)

Debs1

« on: July 21, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »

Hi,over the last few months I've suffered everything from- night sweats,dizziness,tiredness,joint ache,tingling in face,hands,legs,hot flushes,headaches,metal taste in mouth,stomach ache,jelly legs,sore boobs and sometimes I feel I have to concentrate so I don't lose my balance...HELP....could this be the menopause...I've been to the docs on numerous occasions to be fobbed off every time they either say oh it's a virus that has hit you hard or I'm stressed...I'm now at the point where I just sit at home and suffer rather than go back...can I just add I don't get all these symptons at once but they do keep coming and going...

Dancinggirl

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
Your symptoms do sound typical for the meno but could you give us more personal details e.g. your age, what's happening with your periods etc.
You could ask for a blood test to look at your FSH level  - if this is high then it shows you are peri menopausal.
The problem is, menopause symptoms can get merged with other things going on(sometimes the thyroid starts playing up around the time of the meno) so it can be difficult to see the wood from the trees. Unfortunately GPs are rarely up to date on the menopause so it can be difficult to get them to help - often you have to go in with specific requests to get results and actually be quite assertive.
Read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen to get fully clued up. Keep posting.  DG x

Debs1

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »

Hi I'm 45...on the depo injection so don't have periods...I had bloods taken back in November all came back fine...first symptons started end of October,probably at their worst between jan-March...I wake up everyday not knowing is it a good day or not...even good days aren't sympton free...

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:02:46 PM »

Excuse my ignorance but what is the depo injection? Why are your having this? If it is a progesterone treatment then you may be getting a reaction to progesterone. Many women are progesterone intolerant. Have these symptoms coincided with the start of these injections or soon afterwards?
Unfortunately blood tests are notoriously unreliable - depending on when in your cycle the tests are done the results can differ.  If you are not getting periods then it will be very difficult for you to judge whether you are menopausal or whether it's something else causing the problem.  It could be your thyroid playing up?!  Dizziness and loss of balance can be an inner ear infection!!!
The problem with the peri stage of the menopause is that the hormones fluctuate thus making blood tests unreliable .  Some women get erratic periods, longer or shorter cycles, heavier or lighter bleeds - a long break and then the periods start up again - every women is different. The flushes, night sweats and horrid headaches will also fluctuate with the change in your bodies hormone levels - that's why the meno is called"The change"!!!
It is not uncommon to start getting peri menopausal symptoms in your mid 40s - I was peri from my mid 30s!!! However it is usually accompanied by erratic periods which in your case makes things difficult.
Try keeping a diary so when you go back to your GP you can give him/her a more exact picture of what is going on.
DG x

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »

Hello Debs 1 and welcome to the forum.

Your symptoms could easily be the menopause, you are certainly the right age. GPs can be a bit dim when it comes to putting all these things together which is odd considering how many forty something women they must see in any given week. Fortunately the ladies on the forum have a wealth of knowledge and experience so I'm sure you'll find the help and advice you need here.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 06:39:29 PM »

This is from the menu on the left:

Injectable contraception

The three-monthly progestogen preparation contraceptive injection (Depo provera) is mainly used by young women. It can still be continued up to older ages and is a good treatment for heavy or painful periods and PMS (premenstrual syndrome). There is some current concern that contraceptive injections may increase the risk of osteoporosis in later life by reducing the ovarian production of estrogen. For this reason, many healthcare professionals recommend that women stop injectable contraception at the age of 45 years, and consideration should be given to using some other form of contraception if the injection has stopped periods for more than 2 years.

Debs1

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:37:38 PM »

Hi,thanks for all the replies😃....I've spent most of today reading on this forum and I'm amazed at the amount of other ladies with symptons similar to mine...I sometimes sit and think I'm going mad....the last time I had my depo injection I asked the nurse about stopping it but she advised me to keep on with it...I do keep a diary as to how I'm feeling but whenever I've visited the doctor they only seem interested in how I'm feeling on that day,I did try to book an appt with the doctor who does the well woman clinic but she was booked up for 6 weeks then had holidays to come...

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 08:08:25 PM »

dahliagirl - Thanks for telling us about the Depo injections - very interesting.

Debs1 - I have to say after reading what dahlia tells us about these injections, if I were you I'd be really reviewing this form of contraception. Certainly a break from these injections would give you a better idea of what is going on.  Even if you have to wait, I'd definitely make an appointment with the Well Women doctor for a review.
Reading back over your first post your symptoms would suggest to me that all this progesterone could be having a negative effect for you, especially if your oestrogen levels are dipping because you are in early peri meno. Is there a reason why you can't have a Mirena? The Mirena offers exactly the same benefits as this injection but with far less systemic absorption so potentially fewer side effects. Then, when you are in need of some oestrogen you simply have oestrogen gel or patch alongside to alleviate meno-symptoms.
Why have you opted for these injections over other forms of contraception?
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:09:17 PM »

Hi Debs1

:welcomemm:

I agree with the others - also if you continue to have a powerful synthetic protgestogen for a long time and it has stopped your periods, not only will you not be able to tell if you are menopausal, but without oestrogen it can cause ecess thinning of the uterus lining.

Is it possible to stop it for a while and see where you are re periods - or as the others have said have a series of blood tests to determine whether you are menopausal - because if you are you would benefit from adding oestrogen, which will help with your symptoms and more importantly at your relatively young age help to prevent osteoporosis.

The Mirena can be used for contraception and the progestogen part of HRT, which I don't think your injection can? I would also ask for a full blood test re thyroid etc as well, as suggested.

You shouldn't have to wait for the well woman clinic - your own doc should give you a blood test if you suggest what could be the problem - and ask for blood test for female hormones, thyroid etc. Don't be fobbed off!

Hurdity x