Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Life without chocolate and cake!  (Read 5616 times)

Ju Ju

Life without chocolate and cake!
« on: July 20, 2014, 10:40:51 PM »

After being advised that I was insulin resistant and because I have a strong family history of type 2 diabetes, I reduced my carb and sugar intake dramatically. I lost a stone and a half rapidly and my weight now seems to have plateaued. A healthier diet and HRT, and slowly more exercise have helped to make me feel a lot better.

Now up to today I described myself as a recovering chocoholic! It wasn't easy to resist the things I craved for. Often we crave the things that make us feel crap. Today we went for a meal at friends. They had gone to great lengths to accommodate my intolerance of wheat and cows dairy products, but were unaware that I was avoiding sugar as well. I was so touched at how thoughtful they had been to source a pudding without wheat or dairy. Sugar was not going to make me ill and I was not prepared to turn it down after all the trouble they had gone to. But I found that I didn't want to eat it, and though it was delicious, I had no desire to eat anymore again. My life long craving for all things sweet and naughty seems to have been switched off at the age of 60! I no longer need will power. I can call myself a recovered chocoholic!

Maybe my story will encourage those who crave and want to binge on sweets, cakes and chocolate.

suzicals

Re: Life without chocolate and cake!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:46:01 AM »

You can buy diabetic chocolate though can't you?

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:21:49 AM »

You can buy diabetic chocolate and ice cream but my hubby who has Type 1 was told not to touch it.
Better to have two squares of dark chocolate.
That came from his diabetic nurse.

I have never bought any of that for him at all.

I don't have a sweet tooth at all but giving up crisps would be difficult.

Honeyb
x

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 08:25:46 AM »

No, artificial sugars can cause problems with IBS. I try to avoid as much as possible. Sorbitol is difficult to avoid though. Contained in many things, medication, toothpaste. Also diabetic chocolate probably couldn't be part of a low carb diet. Haven't got an ingredient list to look at. And simply I no longer crave chocolate.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:00:04 AM »

I can only eat dark chocolate. As for cake, can only have if I make it myself as has to be dairy free. Don't make often as it has to be eaten or it would be a waste.  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:59:01 PM »

Many years ago we had a dog.  Walked several times daily.  In the afternoon she and I would share a 6 slab bar of chocloate.  I walked off any effects  ;)

However; one very hot day I couldn't B bothered to walk to the shop for a bar and didn't miss it.  Also the sluggish feelings I had had for years disappeared? ?? hidden sugars ?? ………. there is another story here but the curry is ready  ;)

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 05:07:50 PM »

I though chocolate was poison for dogs :o

Dark chocolate has the same effect with me as caffeinated coffee, even though I love both I avoid both worse luck.

I don't like too sweet stuff and you can get good chocolate that is not too sweet and cloying e.g. Belgium and French chocolate. Can't stand Cadburys since the Americans took it over.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 07:03:16 PM »

Your right SL.....chocolate is not for dogs at all.

I was always the child who felt sick if I ate a whole bar of chocolate. I'm still the same. My chocolate bars are cut into four bits. I was the same with my kids. They were never allowed much. My daughter teases me about how they were sweet deprived when they were younger. Neither of them now have a sweet tooth though.

My dog however has to be watched as she will steel chocolate. Good job she only has little legs and can't reach anything interesting  ;D

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 07:53:35 PM »

Black chocolate or Belgian can be poisonous for dogs.  But not our own Cadburys which we liked the best.  DH and I tend to eat very dark 75% or more occasionally after the evening meal in the Winter.

Shop cake/biscuits make me bloated and sluggish so they are a treat  ;)

Scampi

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 11:21:23 AM »

ANY chocolate can be poisonous for dogs - it contains a substance called theobromide that dogs cannot metabolise.  The higher the cocoa-solids, the higher the theobromide content, so dark chocolate and 'good' chocolate is the most dangerous, but ALL chocolate contains it and the effect can be cumulative.

Please - NEVER give a dog chocolate. 

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »

Well done StellaJane's husband  :medal:

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »

If it's any comfort, over time, your tastes change. I don't think I'm that unusual. Meantime, willpower is the only way. I hope he's appreciates his new figure and feels better physically. Weight can compromise your health in so many ways. My husband has to keep up his exercise in order to combat high blood pressure. Not easy, but no one can do it for you. You must be very proud of your husband.

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »

My blood pressure and cholesterol dropped to normal. I enjoyed buying new clothes, but still wear some of my old stuff, but some are a bit baggy and I need a belt to keep up trousers. But with a loss of 4 stone, you can't get away that. Has he lost all the weight he needs to and has his weight plateaued now? I am very, very slowly losing weight still, maybe a 1lb every 2 months or so, but I don't exercise as regularly as I should.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »

I have been skinny but lack of oestrogen has caused some laxity of muscles.   ::)

Maybe joining a cycling group ……….

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 07:44:11 PM »

I don't know how much it is due to genetics, metabolism, hormones or whether it about the relationship we have with food or a combination of everything. It is interesting to see what and how slim people eat. My husband is slim. He eats little and often. He takes forever to eat, which for me gets very boring! He is the slowest eater in the world!  I leave him to it if I can. Apparently very healthy to be like that! He eats very little rubbish. I like making cakes, but I can't eat them and he's not that interested. He's lucky.

I think the way we think about food is passed on to us by the way we are brought up and passed on through the generations. Being born not long after the war, while rationing was still going on and to a mum who had experienced poverty, I was told I was naughty if I didn't eat everything up, even though my body was telling me I had eaten enough. We had a lot of battles over food. She has since apologised to me. I have a really lovely friend who is morbidly obese. She says her mum her mum associated love with feeding her. 

Your husband has done so well, but as you say, maintaining his ideal weight is an ongoing battle. What kind of support does he have? Obviously, he has yours. Just a thought, though not a personal recommendation, more here-say, is Paul McKenna's book on slimming.
Pages: [1] 2