Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Could this really be the Menopause?  (Read 2160 times)

supersam

Could this really be the Menopause?
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:22:02 PM »

Hello

I had a total hysterectomy in 2009, including the removal of my ovaries.  I was given a HRT implant, which it turnout I was allergic to....
It was then decided that I would not take any form of HRT becauce of the allergy.  For the Dr/Hospital to work out what I was allergic to would take years so I had no form of HRT.   I have taken a calcium supplement for the past 5 years to hopefully keep brittle bones at bay.

The past 18 months I have suffered from excessive head and facial sweating. The sweats can strike at any time, I could be sat down, talking to someone, hoovering my stairs.  It feels like a fire has been lit at the nape of my neck, my face pours with sweat during that time, my upper torso is clammy and freezing cold to the touch?  Odd I know.  I never experience any night sweats though. 

The reason for my waffles above are.............The sweats are so bad now that I am embarrassed when I am with family, and I feel even worse when I am at work.  I have been to my GP who  sent me for a variety of blood tests, he has told me that looking at my blood results, I am going through the menopause, what he can't explain is that I shouldn't have any hormone left in my system after 5 years, so he is as confused as me. 

He also says it is not usual for the sweats, during menopause, to cause cold upper torso.

I am hoping someone can offer advice?

GP sent me for more blood tests today, another 8 test tubes worth

Thank you

supersam

Re: Could this really be the Menopause?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:31:26 PM »

Apologies I forgot to mention I am 47.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:40:06 AM »

:welcomemm:  hormones  >:( ……… there are other hormones in our body, including thyroid, hopefully your GP will be testing those levels too. Was the implant removed?

One can be cold due to hormone alterations, I had Tamoxifen following breast operation and had cold 'flushes' within 36 hours - thought I had a dose of 'flu starting  :o.  It would begin from behind my shoulders and work upwards into my lower neck.  Over-all the drug made me so ill I had to stop taking it.

Brisk walking or skipping can help stave off osteoporosis too. 

Have a read of the menus, left of screen too!

supersam

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 04:35:51 PM »

Hi CLKD

Thanks for the reply. 

The HRT implant was not removed, it dissolved after 6-9 months.  I don't get cold flushes, I will sweat profusely from my head/face at the same time if you felt my upper torso it is freezing to the touch.

I hope you are OK, now after your op, did you receive any other medication?

I have started running as a form of exercise, I run/ slow jog 3 times a week for 30-40 minutes each time.

I am sure the GP has ordered tests for thyroid, among others.  I had bloods tested earlier in the week, my ESR came back high, so he is checking that again too.  I think it indicates you have inflammation somewhere or are fighting a virus, both of which I'm not????

I hope its not too hot for you, I am too hot , the storms haven't arrived here yet.