Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Confused, GP doing my head in...  (Read 2425 times)

lisaS

Confused, GP doing my head in...
« on: February 03, 2015, 07:03:34 PM »

I am 46 and I have had a Mirena coil for the last 19 years (on my 5th one) I haven't had periods since I was 27.
Last year I started getting hot flushes and night sweats. I went to my GP he did a blood test and told me it was the menopause. I was given Oestrogel and told that should make the flushes and sweats stop. They did stop, but now I my brain feels like it's been replaced with cotton wool, I am so tired all the time, my sex drive has disappeared completely and I just don't feel like me anymore. This has been going on for the last 6 months.
I went back to the GP last week to ask if this was normal and was offered anti-depressants! I know I am not depressed  ::)
I don't know which bit of the menopause I am in, he doesn't want to see what my hormone levels are (I do) he says there is no Menopause clinic in this area, so basically I feel on my own. The female GP is at the surgery is in her 30's and by her own admission "not really clued up on the menopause" 
I have increased my gel from 2 pumps to 3 a day to see if my symptoms improve but is there anything else I can do??  Any suggestions are very welcome.
Thanks

jedigirl

Re: Confused, GP doing my head in...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:22:49 PM »

Hi Lisas,

Sorry you're having a rough time at the moment, know what that feels like.
Re your GP ; do you have a nurse at your surgery you could chat with? They're often more clued up on menopause than the GP!
Or could you ask to be referred to a gynaecologist? It's not really adequate that your GP is not clued up on the menopause. Could you see her again and say as she is not clued up could she refer you to someone who is?
Hugs to you. :welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 08:03:52 PM »

Hi lisaS  :welcomemm: from me too.

If you have started experiencing menopausal symptoms at your age such as flushes and sweats, then it is good practice for a doctor to do a blood test. One test doesn't tell you a lot about oestrogen levels because during peri-menopause the levels fluctuate, but he should be testing your thyroid levels and other things as a baseline, to check whether everything is OK.

When did the brain fog start? Was it soon after starting the gel or several months later? Unfortunately to me your symptoms sound like typical menopause symptoms and it could be that your oestrogen levels have dropped further as you are further in menopause and an increased dose would be beneficial.

However some of these symptoms - tiredness and brain fog could be signs of low thyroid or possibly iron too. I would go back to your doc or a different one and explain your symptoms and say you would like a blood test. Lowered sex drive is typical of menopause I'm afraid. I had heard it was a possible side effect of the mirena but as you've had them for years it can't be due to that!

Let us know how you feel after a few weeks on the new dose and in the meantime ask for those blood tests! Why not keep a diary of your symptoms and what you are taking etc so that you can see what happens as time goes one?

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 08:08:37 PM »

Keeping a mood/food diary can help.
Ask your GP for blood tests as suggested.
Hormone tests are reliably un-reliable! my Gynae treats on symptoms only.
Have a read of the menus, left of screen and make notes  ;)