Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sciatica  (Read 9799 times)

margaret

Sciatica
« on: July 08, 2014, 06:22:07 PM »

Hi Ladies,

Has anyone got advice on how to relieve sciatic nerve pain, I'm in agony.

Thanks x

::)

honeybun

Re: Sciatica
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 06:25:57 PM »

Unfortunately there really isn't much you can do. I found heat helped a lot to star t with. Regular pain killers too, I just used paracetamol.

If you Google exercises for sciatica then there are good demonstrations of stretches that really help.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:37:14 PM »

I found that if I took Nurofen immediately then walked briskly for half an hour it eased symptoms.  My fault because I didn't bend my knees when putting on dogs' leads  ::)

However, the burning altered sensation I have down both thighs is totally different to sciatic pain.  I realised after a year that it has been caused by leaning over small display cabinets for the past 4 years  :-X

margaret

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »

Thank you ladies, I've had it for about 2 weeks but it's got worse over the past 4 days can hardly walk or sit for the pain, I've tried some exercises, it doesn't help that I do a cleaning job. 

:(

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »

You do need to rest up a bit.

Have you seen your GP. Might be worth a visit.

Honeyb
x

margaret

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »

Thanks Honeyb,

The doctor told me to take painkillers, I think if it lasts much longer I'll go back, don't like this getting old malarky
I'm just a young chick hee hee

xxx ::)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »

When I get it I can't sit on the loo …….. I usually take 2 Nurofen then an hour later another ……… then 2 at the 'proper' time.  You may need physio., you could ring the dept to see if there are exercises which would help?

Morwenna

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 10:16:19 PM »

When I get it I can't go to the loo let alone sit on it! My GP gave me a load of exercises to do. Of course when the sciatica wore off (after three weeks  :o) I started to forget to do them. I found sitting for long periods made it worse and painkillers weren't that effective. Walking is the best remedy. You're right it's no fun this getting old business  :(

Dyan

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 11:20:29 AM »

Mine got so bad I had to see a osteopath.
I was also given some exercises to do and was also advised to wear an orthaheel orthopaedic sole in my shoes as I was walking with one foot turned in and to help with the arches in my feet.
This has helped no end and so far I've been ok -touch wood!

Witches Cat

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 12:43:05 PM »

When mine gets bad I lay on my back on the floor and pull my knees up to my chest and rock side to side for a few minutes, then roll onto my side and get onto all fours before I try to get up slowly. That gentle stretch seems to help, although it doesn't sort my dead toes. They take the longest to come right.  I also have one of those strange stools where you kneel on the front lower pad, and perch yer bum on the higher one at the back. (completely adjustable via a central screw thread underneath)  And then in that position I lean onto the dinner table... Elegant I'm not...

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »

I sat on the settee this afternoon and had ACUTE pain shoot through my left buttock, so painful I couldn't even shout.  Until it went away …….. like a red hot needle going through  :-\

Will try that exercise Witches Cat …….. if you can arrange for John Trevolta to pull me from the floor?  ;)

Maryjane

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »

I have sciatica to add to my list of wows, caused by my pelvic floor problems. Four weeks of hourly external physio, and daily exercises of different types of stretches, lying on a heat pad and a change in posture and it has gone, if I miss the exercises it comes back.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 06:32:15 PM »

:-\  I'm not an exercising type person though  ::)

Maryjane

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 06:52:19 PM »

I don't consider it exercise really. It is all done lying on the floor on a yoga mat and a pillow.

When I first saw physio he said my piriformis muscle which is all to do with the sciatic nerve was an eight out of ten for tightness, two weeks of strict exercises it was a three, and walking is also the best thing for it which I do twice a day at a reasonable pass, kicks in the good endorphins for pain and mood. :)

oldsheep

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 09:47:37 AM »

can you manage to see a physio? It's often something is out of alignment so pressing on a nerve.
Pages: [1] 2