Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Gynest Cream!!  (Read 2880 times)

Tina1957

Gynest Cream!!
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:40:20 AM »

Ladies if any of you are on Gynest Cream, please can you tell me how you are prescribed it?

My GP has prescribed everyday for 2 weeks and then twice a week for 4 weeks - then a break of 8/12 weeks before commencing it again????

Is this the normal procedure when using Gynest Cream?

Tinax

star35

Re: Gynest Cream!!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:33:49 AM »

My G P suggested the same for me but after we discussed it she thought that taking a break from it wasn't going to work. After the first two weeks I have now been on it twice a week for about a year now.

Morwenna

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »

The idea behind vaginal oestrogen therapy is to keep the cells replenished and healthy. I think a break of any sort would reverse the effects of it and encourage atrophy to take hold? I have been using Gynest pessaries twice weekly for two years - these were recently withdrawn by the manufacturer and I have a tube of cream to replace them. This is on repeat prescription with a review scheduled annually.

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »

I was told everyday for two weeks then twice a week thereafter.
No break suggested.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:58:58 PM »

Hi there - I agree with the others. You should not take a break. The actual SPC says there should be an attempted break at 3-6 monthly intervals following physical exmaination but this is contrary to the latest recommendations of the British Menopause Society and Dr Currie herself.

Morwenna is right re the vaginal cells - as soon as you stop they will start to deterioriate.

This is what DR Currie says in an article on Vaginal Atrophy - towards the end (from the magazine):

Any vaginal estrogen preparation should be used for at least 3 months before the expected benefit will be achieved and should be continued long-term, perhaps even indefinitely. Many women are only given a short course of treatment and are disappointed when the symptoms may not be fully treated, or may return when treatment is stopped. We now recognise that these changes persist and gradually worsen without treatment and therefore treatment should be continued; menopausal vaginal changes are not like menopausal flushes and sweats which will reduce or even stop in most women at some stage.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:18:49 PM »

Yep - every day to 'load' the vagina and plump up the tissues then 2 x 7 days

Tina1957

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 07:38:19 AM »

Many thanks ladies for all your replies!

I will now go armed with this info to the GP - I followed my GP's instruction a few months back, but am now back to square one if not worse.  At the time she had stressed the risks involved with using Estrogen Cream and that long term continuous use was a no no!!

Tinax

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »

Gynest cream has a tiny tiny amount of hormone  0.01% - it's weaker than other local oestrogen products

The GP who gave it to me said it was so small it was very very unlikely to cause any problems.

Mind you, this was in response to me asking if it would give OH boobs.  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 03:15:17 PM »

Ask her where she got the 'risks involved' info from?  Living in the Dark Ages some of these GPs …… or worried about being sued.

Let us know how you get on!