Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New here  (Read 3213 times)

RebeccaTM

New here
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:49:23 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I've had chemo, double mastectomy (with immediate implant reconstruction, useful as I make my living as a glamour model!), radiotherapy, Herceptin and now on Letrozole. Because my cancer was ER+8, I have had both ovaries and fallopian tubes removed which has, of course, led to the menopause. I'm 53 next month but prior to my treatment the menopause was still a long way off.

The worst part of this is that as my cancer was estorogen receptive I can have no HRT, no estrogen at all is allowed. I do get some hot flushes but I think these are caused by the Letrozole. The vaginal atrophy though, has been caused by the lack of estrogen and Replens is not really doing it for me! But, as there are many ways to swing a cat (or is that skin a rabbit?) my husband and I are still very happy bunnies  ;)

So, this forum, which I have read many times, is going to be great for me.

Rebecca x
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:51:00 PM by RebeccaTM »

honeybun

Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 02:56:22 PM »

:welcomemm:

Sorry to read about your health troubles but really glad to hear you have made a full recovery.
I understand about no oestrogen so other methods for VA are necessary.

Some ladies on the forum have used coconut oil for outer areas and ( I think this is right) Vitamin E as a pessary.

Someone else will be along soon to help.

Also if the flushes become a real problem then there are other pills that can help. Again someone else will advise.

Nice to have you with us.

Honeyb
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:06:09 PM »

Hi and welcome RebeccaTM
Thank you for sharing your story - what a tough time you've had - you sound as though you are doing well?.  I think we are all so scared of breast cancer so it is very good to hear positive outcomes. 
I have a friend who has just been through breast cancer treatment - the same as you but only one breast removed and no reconstruction yet.  She had already come through menopause (she's 55) with barely a single hot flush but is getting them now because of the Tamoxifen. What has been really hard for her is that she has now discovered she has advanced stage osteoporosis which has nothing to do with the cancer but, of course, she can't have HRT which would help. 
You are the third women that I've heard of lately to go through cancer treatment and non of them have had HRT.  You say that you were a long way off the menopause but the normal age is between 50-54 so you may have been on the brink. 
Vaginal Atrophy is horrible - I know as I've suffered with it for over 14years because of a premature meno. It's very tough for you because some local oestrogen would help with this. Other lubricants like Multi-Gyn Actigel or Hylaofemme can make things more comfortable - you tend to have to get these online.
Keep posting.  DG xxx

RebeccaTM

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:28:12 PM »

Thank you, ladies

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that one of the chemo drugs robs the body of calcium so I am now taking supplements twice a day! It's the gift nobody wants that just keeps on giving.

Coconut oil is wonderful. I use it in the kitchen, too...it is the best oil to cook with.

I blogged about my treatment (rather irreverently) on my blog and put all the posts in one place, in chronological order here:  http://cancerstuff.wordpress.com/, as I have people following all over the world and some were coming to it late and couldn't find some of the earlier posts.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

Rebecca x

nelliedee

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »

Just wanted to say, well done you xxx

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 11:25:16 AM »

Me too and I love your brave Blog x

Kelly

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 04:13:15 PM »

Well Rebecca you make me feel guilty for moaning! You have done so well I take my hat off to you!
Kelly xxxxxxxxxxxxx lots of love