Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Fed up  (Read 2732 times)

Calamityjen

Fed up
« on: July 05, 2014, 12:28:52 AM »

Hi everyone I had a full hysterectomy about 3 years ago and have been on hrt most of that time. Lately my hot flushes night sweats have been getting really bad. So I went to doctors to see if my thyroid was ok well I'm still waiting on those results but have been told I am anaemic and may need injections or more investigations. Would just like to know has anyone else had this problem since there hysterectomy. Also I would never of known this if I hadn't of asked for blood test as nurse wasn't that interested so as you can imagine I am a little stressed and worried and getting very down,  Many thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Fed up
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 09:19:42 AM »

Thyroid function should be tested if we feel 'off colour'.  Not everything should be blamed on menopause/hysterectomy situations.  Once your results come back your Nurse will have more to discuss with you.  Make a list of questions and maybe keep a food/mood diary for 3 months to get an idea of the ups and downs.

Have a read of the menus, left of screen.  Browse round  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »

How old are you Calamityjen and what type/dose of HRT are you taking? Was an increase in dose considered as a way of relieving symtpoms or are you already on a high dose?

It is good to be tested as CLKD says - it is often the case in medicine that certain problems are discovered during a routine blood test for something else.

If you are anaemic surely it should be suggested to start iron straight away? I presume it depends how low your iron reserves are?

I take an iron supplement every few days - I use a herbal tonic called Floradix which is easy on the digestive system. It's quite expensive ( about £10 a bottle) but builds up iron levels quite quickly. I used it when I became anaemic in pregnancy as I didn't want to take tablets.

Hurdity x

Calamityjen

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 10:27:57 PM »

Hi CLKD my nurse didn't want to check my thyroid and says the symptoms I suggested was probably to do with my hrt. But I insisted on having it checked. Thankyou for your help I will be ready with questions when I go on Friday for results.

Hi Hurdity I am 41 in October and I am on the estraderm patch 50. My nurse has said she will increase the dosage once results come back. She wanted to check my bloods an extra time before she starts me on anything I just hope it's soon as I am fed up of feeling exhausted all of the time.

Thank you for you help also calamityjen x