Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: fed up and feel like giving up HRT  (Read 3273 times)

Sue1967

fed up and feel like giving up HRT
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:16:04 AM »

Hi everyone,

I'm so fed up I started elleste Duet 1mg a month ago now and during the first month just as I was going to start the green tablets I thought I was having breakthrough bleeding which I was expecting, BUT I did not bank on a full on period lasting six days and really really heavy!!
With relief that finished and I've now started the second blister pack and will be taking day three today, BUT last night I had spotting and this morning more bleeding although not heavy yet.....I've only had a week break from the last one. Is this normal?
I was always regular before although have been skipping a month here and there since Christmas....I hate periods as mine are always heavy and have been for years now.....I feel like giving up, not sure what to do now I will chat to my GP when I go back towards the end of the three months but I really don't want to go through this every week or so....any advice is greatly appreciated,

Thank you in advance
Sue  :)

dahliagirl

Re: fed up and feel like giving up HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:50:53 PM »

I had this when I started on the pill many years ago.  I think my second and third ones had different doses of the same progestogen as Elleste.  I remember with one, bleeding for the entire month - except for the week off where I was supposed to bleed!

You need to keep a diary, and if necessary, go back to the doctor earlier (if it is anything like my surgery, you will have to book the appt as you start the third pack anyway, or you will run out before you can see anyone).  You probably need a different sort of progestogen or dose/balance.  They seem to start everyone on this hrt, then change it if it does not suit.

I have started elleste 1mg and, surprisingly, it has worked so far.  I was expecting to be like you.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 02:12:53 PM »

Hi Sue1967
I presume you are still peri meno as you said you have only recently started to skip periods. Your own hormones will be fluctuating and so there will be peeks and troughs of your own hormones influencing the withdrawal bleeds and causing some extra break through bleeding. It takes time for your body to adjust and as your own hormones drop the HRT will be more in control.
If your periods were heavy then the Mirena would be an obviously thing to try as it would reduce your bleeds and eventually they would stop completely. You then just add a little oestrogen transdermally either with gel or patch and this could be adjusted to keep your meno symptoms at bay.
DG x

Sue1967

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 08:58:35 PM »

Thank you DG and dahliagirl I shall see how it goes but just feel down hearted at the moment :)