Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hiiii..Newbie about to start HRT?  (Read 1730 times)

momo1973

Hiiii..Newbie about to start HRT?
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:43:57 PM »

Hiiii everyone

I have just turned 40 and been having blood tests for the post 3yrs to check for being peri-menopausal.  They have all came back fine but the doc agrees that my ever expanding list of symptoms and complaints point to me being peri-menopausal.  She had no problem putting my on HRT (mum went through it at 39) and I have to think about it and go back to see her.  Been reading all the posts and the information down the side panel and think the best way to go is patches but looking for other people's experiences and advice please. She did offer me an anti depressant to cope with the sweats and mood swings but that is only a small part of what I feel. Terrible joint pain(hobble like an old lady sometimes),cycle all over the place, migraine, urine infection, mood swings, terrible sweats and very tired due to not sleeping great, no libido whatsoever and vaginal dryness...prob more but can't remember lol...any advice welcome, thanks x
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:47:31 PM by momo1973 »

honeybun

Re: Hiiii..Newbie about to start HRT?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:56:11 PM »

:welcomemm:

At least you have a clued up GP. It's very important at your age to start HRT. It will protect your heart and bones.
I like patches. They are easy to use and tolerate. There are lots of choices but the sooner you settle on something the better. It's so very important at your age.
AD's can....sometimes...May help..... but it does not address what's causing your problems.
I use Evorel patches...started on sequi and now on conti. I get on fine with them.

Honeyb
x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:21:16 PM »

Hi momo1973

:welcomemm: from me too!

I agree with honeybun - and yes take the HRT - you definitely need it.

Also the doctor is very wrong to offer you ADs for sweats and mood swings at your age when these are hormonal issues. ADs are helpful if you cannot take HRT for any reason, or if you have had issues all your life not connected with hormones, or in the short term if the mood swings are so bad you can't cope while waiting for the HRT to work!

I have only ever used patches but I didn't start HRT until I was almost 54. I feel they (or gel) are the best way to get HRT into the body as they don't have to go through the liver, but many women are happy with pills. If you've ever taken the contraceptive pill and been fine on them then you could perhaps start with tablets and see how you get on unless you've definitely decided on patches?

The best tolerated tablet HRT to go for is Femoston which comes in two different doses. Alternatively you could go for separate oestrogen ( such as Elleste Solo) and micronised progesterone (Utrogestan).

If you do go for patches there is only one dose of oestrogen in the combi patches, but if you choose oestrogen only patches (with separate progesterone) you can adjust the dose - as you can with gel.

The most important thing is to decide which type and mode of delivery you want and why and ensure your doctor prescribes it. There have been women on here who have done their research on here, chosen their product, only to come away with something different because their doctor has persuaded them otherwise.

For vaginal dryness you may also need vaginal oestrogen - but when I first went onto HRT I stopped using vaginal oestrogen and didn't need anything else for a couple of years until I was 2-3 years post meno. Now I use systemic HRT and vaginal oestrogen.

As for libido - hmm - tricky one. Go to the home page of the forum and do a serach - there are several threads about this. I think tablet HRT is less good for this for physiological reasons connected with the biochemistry of testosterone in the body which is complex, and I don't know enough about it. However you may find HRT improves things a little initially - it did with me back then. Gone now of course!

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

momo1973

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »

Thanks ladies

I am thinking of patches as memory like a sieve and would forget to take the tablets, have to take thyroxine and leave it in my make up bag so that I remember to take it lol.......there is so much to think about my brain is spinning. Docs tomorrow morning so will let u know how I get on x