Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: periods changed  (Read 4374 times)

mandy43

periods changed
« on: June 21, 2014, 09:46:09 PM »

My periods have now shortened to only 3 proper days and then they disappear and then a few days later there is a little bit there when you wipe and that goes on for a while.  This has been the same now for the last two periods.  Does anyone else have this and does it mean I'm coming to the end of them now?  Everything is normal down there as I had a scan a couple of weeks ago, but I still worry why it carries on.

Taz2

Re: periods changed
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 08:28:05 AM »

Hi Mandy - it's nothing to worry about but is just a result of your changing hormone levels. I think of it as switches being turned on and off. In a simple way I think the womb responds to the switching on and off of progesterone. When we are in our fertile years this happens on a regular basis and it's the withdrawal of progesterone which begins a period. During our peri menopause/menopause years the switches come on and off at different times so the body is told to shed the womb lining and then told to stop shedding and then told to start shedding which is why you get a stop-start effect. With the dropping of oestrogen levels then often the womb lining doesn't build up enough to shed which also means small amounts of bleeding. You can sometimes get quite bad period pains during this phase as the body tries to shed a lining which isn't there!

I can't say whether this means you are near the end of periods or not. I had a year or so of what you describe and then went back to much more regular bleeding for a few months before I started HRT.

Taz x

mandy43

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »

thanks so much for the detailed reply Taz, I feel alot better to know that now. xx

Jane44

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »

Hi there I get the same thing it was like that for about six months then my last two periods have been heavy for five days then seven days with just a little loss stopping and starting annoying I know but I think common hang on in there

Machair

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 06:15:18 AM »

I have had this sort of bleeding pattern as well and it worried me too. Thank goodness for this forum- you are not alone! The last episode I had of this sort of bleeding pattern was before I missed periods for 11 months and thought I was finished. Not so it seems as I had one recently so the clock starts again!

Jane44

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 10:11:18 PM »

Poor you starting again after 11 months !!! Did you get any burning mouth symptoms I keep getting that as well as the funny periods stopping and starting then increased clear discharge etc it is a minefield would rather have hot sweats than this sore burning mouth !!!

Machair

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »

No burning mouth yet, but I do have the increased discharge you mention. No night sweats returning yet so I think I am going to have another bleed.

mandy43

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »

Thanks Ladies for all your comments... glad to see not just me gets the mucous discharge as well, like your ovulating all the time.  I don't have the burning mouth yet, but I often get the foulest taste in my mouth, which all started the same time as this!

Machair

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »

Yes that is exactly it- like you are ovulating all the time. x