Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Menopause advice needed - Non HRT  (Read 2390 times)

klhh111

Menopause advice needed - Non HRT
« on: June 23, 2014, 12:27:49 PM »

Hi All

I'm new to this forum, so hello!

I'm actually asking for a bit of advice for my mum...she is 48 years old and has been going through the menopause for 4 years now (confirmed with doctor.) She has been having hot flushes, night sweats, trouble sleeping and heavy periods which are very irregular for quite some time now and its really getting her down, which I hate to see :(

She is unable to take HRT due to family history with blood clots, but is really emotional all the time I hate seeing her so affected by the menopause.

I didnt know if there was any other treatment available to help alleviate her symptoms? Someone has told me that if she gets the coil fitted it could help her period become lighter and more regular or even stop it completely. Does any one else use this as a method of coping if they cannot take HRT or are there any other suggestions or advice?

Grateful for any advice and thanks in advance!

Kayleigh :) x

Taz2

Re: Menopause advice needed - Non HRT
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 05:43:18 PM »

Hi Kayleigh - what a lovely, caring daughter you are!

The coil you mention is the Mirena coil and many women do have success with this making periods lighter or, sometimes, stopping them altogether. Do you know whether she has had any scans to identify whether she has fibroids which may be a cause of heavy bleeding and can be treated? There is info here about the Mirena http://www.britishfibroidtrust.org.uk/Factfiles/Mirena_BFT_A4_Factfile_1.pdf

You say that your mum can't have HRT due to a family history of blood clotting but has she been tested for the clotting factors as some GPs are not always as clued up as others on the subject of HRT? Some types of blood clots do have a genetic link but many others don't. The blood test is quite simple and results are back within a week. If she hasn't had this done, and she would like to try HRT, then it may be worth her while asking her GP. Also, the patch or gel method of HRT is better than the pill form in terms of blood clot risk.

Someone else will be along soon with their ideas. I'm not too good on alternatives to HRT as I went down the HRT route - sorry.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

Re: Menopause advice needed - Non HRT
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 06:25:01 PM »

Hi klhh111
Welcome to MM - your mum is very lucky to have such resourceful and caring daughter.
Taz2 has given you great advice  - definitely worth finding out if the blood clotting is genetic.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen as there is some really useful stuff that will help you and your mum understand what is going on and things available to help.
As your mum is still rather young to be going throughout the meno it is important to get advice and help as being deficient in oestrogen can result in long term problems with bones and heart. Make sure she is getting calcium rich food and 15 mins of sunshine each day to get the vitamin D to help her bones.
I had a Mirena for 4 years and found it fine.
Sadly I haven't had any luck with alternative therapies but if you look under 'Prescribable non-HRT'(Green font) there is info about different drugs that can reduce flushes etc. if your mum really can't use HRT.  I'm afraid HRT is still the best option.
Helping your mum now will help you to deal with the meno when your time comes - hopefully not for a very long time.
Keep us posted.  DG x