Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Bleeding with Femoston Conti  (Read 20689 times)

sharon1958

Bleeding with Femoston Conti
« on: June 24, 2014, 10:45:31 AM »

Hello all  :)

I haven't been on here for a while because everything was going fine. I changed from Femseven Conti (due to being unable to locate them anywhere) to Femoston Conti 1/10. Have been on the Femoston for 3 months and been feeling OK - actually better than with the Femseven but today have started bleeding - something I never had with the Femseven. Is this normal or does it mean that perhaps the Femonston is too strong for me and I perhaps should change to the very lose dose 0.5mg? Any advice welcome please!
Are Femseven available again or have they been completely discontinued indefinitely?

Sharon

Dancinggirl

Re: Bleeding with Femoston Conti
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 04:17:54 PM »

It's maybe the different progesterone - it's quite common to get a bit of break through bleeding in the first 6 months - your body may be adjusting.  I'm not surprised you feel better on Femoston as the progesterone in this is one of the kindest and suits many women.
The ultra low one may not keep your meno symptoms at bay.
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »

Hi sharon

I'm not quite clear about which HRT - I presume you mean Femoston conti - Femoston 1/10 is a cyclical HRT which is meant to produce a bleed - so if you're on that one then that's why you're bleeding. Anyway as Dancinggirl says it is normal to get breakthrough bleeding in the first 6 months of conti HRT. In your case although you have been on HRT, you have changed the formulation so it could just be your body getting used to the new mode of delivery ie tablet instead of patch - there will be different amounts of the hormones getting into your system with the two different methods.

Hurdity x

Eddie

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:45:51 PM »

I bled for around 12 weeks on femoston conti 0.5. And finally decided it's not strong enough to control all symptoms and stop my bleed. So I'm doubling up in the meantime until I see the meno doc again. Eddie. X

sharon1958

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:07:56 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Yes Hurdity it is the Femoston Conti 1/10 but I just didn't expect a bleed as I never had bleeding with the Femseven Conti. I did however have heavy bleeds with Evorel Conti - that's why my gynae changed me to the Femseven. However the Femoston Conti are working better for me than Femseven. I don't really want bleeding and will continue with these if I know things will calm down in a few months.
I have been on HRT now for nearly 7 years.

Sharon

peegeetip

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 09:03:08 AM »

Hi Sharon1958

agreement here with what Hurdity said earlier - incase there is a little confusion here. Could be a simple "misunderstanding" on the doc prescribing part. Check on this site - see the links below - and the quoted info below was just to double check :)

Hope that helps.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php
"Femoston 1/10: Continuous sequential: Femoston should be taken continuously without a break between packs. The oestrogen is dosed continuously. The progestogen is added for the last 14 days of every 28 day cycle, in a sequential manner. For initiation and continuation of treatment of postmenopausal symptoms, the lowest effective dose for the shortest duration (see Precautions) should be used"

the no bleed Femoston product is

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php
"Femoston Conti 1/5: Continuous Combined: Femoston should be taken continuously without a break between packs. Femoston Conti is intended to prevent stimulation of the endometrium in postmenopausal women, usually resulting in amenorrhoea."

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »

sharon1958
I think peegeetips is right - you have been prescribed the wrong type of Femoston. As it comes in Sequ (1/10) and conti (1/5) types it is an easy mistake for the doctor to make when prescribing.
You could continue with the sequi Femoston and see if you like having a withdrawal bleed each month - it may be only very light and some women like to use the sequi type HRT well into post meno!
If you don't want albeed then I'd ask the GP to give a prescription of the conti type Femoston 1/5 -  you may get a bit of breakthrough bleeding to start with but this should settle down quite quickly.
DG x

sharon1958

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »

Sorry all - my mistake! My box states Femoston Conti 1mg/5mg (not sure how to insert an embarrassed icon here ;) Is there anything to be worried about if I'm bleeding on this one?

Sharon
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:37:36 AM by sharon1958 »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 11:39:10 AM »

sharon1958 - Easy mistake to make. Just keep going with this conti Femoston - it may be fine after another month or so.
Dg x

sharon1958

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 11:33:53 AM »

I'm still having bleeding (over 5 days now) which I thought might have stopped by now and general discomfort/heaviness going on 'down there' so think I should perhaps make an appt to see a gynae. Started to worry slightly  :(

Sharon

Tabbycat

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »

I've been on Femiston Conti for about four months now and still get spotting/light bleeding.

I've had it checked by a gynae, who thought it was due to hormonal surges conflicting with the HRT, and said that if it continues I should stop HRT for three months to see if it was the cause. At the moment, however, I'd rather put up with the spotting than go back to the crippling joint aches and fatigue!

It's worth getting the bleeding checked though, just to put your mind at ease.

sharon1958

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 03:35:46 PM »

Have just returned from my GP and because I was seen March 2013 by my gynae for bleeding and all the tests were done to rule out anything untoward etc he feels I don't need to have all the tests repeated again. I may still go and see someone privately for peace of mind though. He has prescribed me Tibolone tablets - Livial to see if I get bleeding with those too. I must admit I haven't heard of this one and just wondered how it differs from what I'm already on and if anyone has tried it? Thanks.

Sharon

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »

Look under the HRT Preparations heading to the left. It works in a different way and I think it carries lower risk of breast cancer. Help the libido !!!!
I tried it and found it quite good but it gave me teenage type acne, however many find it fab. It may still give you some bleeding or spotting for the first 6 months or so while your body adjusts.
DG x