Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT for how long??  (Read 3397 times)

Dazzle

HRT for how long??
« on: June 24, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »

Hi, I am new to here but have a fairly 'unusual' question. I had a total hysterectomy 23 years ago and then ovaries removed following year at the age of 26. I have been on HRT ever since. I am now  50, suffering hot flushes, moods etc. My question is what do I do about HRT now? I actually live in France and recently asked a Gyne, who was to say the least useless! I was told before I left UK that once I got to 50 the HRT would stop.
I do have family history of cancer, my maternal Grandmother dies of breast/liver cancer aged 63. Mum is fine, no other females in the family. If anyone has any ideas/advice I would be very grateful!
Thanks  :D

Dancinggirl

Re: HRT for how long??
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 04:29:17 PM »

Hi and Welcome to MM
I believe that the breast cancer risk is very low if you are just using oestrogen which I assume you as you no longer have a uterus.  Its the combination HRTs with progesterone that carry a slightly higher risk.  There are many factors around causes of breast cancer however if you are concerned then regular screenings would be a good idea. If your mother and sisters are ok it may not necessarily be a genetic link. Are you using Oestrogel - it's very popular in FRance and convenient as you can increase the amount you need to keep your meno symptoms as bay. I think there is no real reason why you can't continue using Oestrogen for the rest of your life provided you have regular breast and health checks.
If you can tell us the HRT you are using it would be useful.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen - it's good to be clued up.
I'm sure others will be along soon to advice.  Dg x

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »

My sister died of secondary bone cancer age 50 (breast cancer age 45). I have been told by several medics that having just one close relative ( parent or sibling ) does not mean you are at more risk than anyone else, but two points to genetics. I doubt a grandmother would be considered a risk. I am 60 and have only started HRT this year. There is the over 60s debate going on and many doctors are reluctant to prescribe, but I am surprised you have been told you can't take HRT at 50. Difficult to advise you as you live in France, other than the usual suggestions of seeing a different doctor/gynaecologist and taking along information from this website. I had to go privately, but do have the support of my GP.

tiger74

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:01:11 PM »

Hi Dazzle

As regards genetic predisposition to breast cancer...  is it possible to have a referral to a geneticist?  I know that having one grandparent affected by cancer would not be sufficient 'evidence' for genetic investigations in UK but maybe French criteria are different?  By the way, your biological father's family history is also relevant when it comes to genetic variations related to breast cancer. 

I have had undergone investigations into genetic factors for pre-disposition to cancer (and have been proved to have inherited a BRCA gene variation from my father's side of the family).  Let me know if you want to know more about the process.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 08:14:38 PM by tiger74 »

Dazzle

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:40:11 PM »

Hi, thanks for info everyone. I do use eostrogel, and progesterone tablets for 25 days a month. However, I am checked 2 yearly here so not unduly worried. But would like to know about staying on and still having menopause symptoms. Is it worth staying on after all these years?? and if so for how long? and then how do I actually come off it. To make matters worse I have ME! So suffer severe fatigue plus many other symptoms, which don't help! Thank you everyone x ;D

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:39:24 PM »

Hi Dazzle
Why are you taking progesterone when you don't have a uterus? Did you have endometriosis? If so that would explain the progesterone as it is prescribed to protect other build up. What progesterone are you using - it sounds as though you are using Utrogestan (micronised progesterone) Some women find that continuous use of this progesterone (you are using it almost continuously) can bring fatigue. If you are using Utrogestan, do you use vaginally? You may be able to change the way you use it - say 10 days a month. It may depend on how much of the gel you are using each day. If you are using a different progesterone it may worth trying Utrogestan on a cyclical basis? If you are still getting meno symptoms despite the HRT you are using, again you need to look at the amount of oestrogen and the possibility that there are other factors at play e.g. thyroid function?
It is worth staying on HRT until at least 50 as it will protect your heart and bones - it is also worth staying on for at least 5 years beyond this - normal meno is 52-53. Once you come off HRT there is no way of knowing how long it will take for the meno symptoms to settle down. You may not know how bad the symptoms will be till you have been off HRT for a few weeks or months when the oestrogen levels bottom out.
Can you find a gynae who is more clued up about HRT? I think you need a fresh assessment of your needs.
DG x