Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: No more BC?  (Read 11301 times)

Patientone

No more BC?
« on: June 19, 2014, 09:42:26 PM »

My Dr said I do not need to use birth control anymore .. a wave of fear has come over me !

I have been tracking my basal temperature for 4 years, the last detected ovulation was December 2012, and my last period mid January 2013.

I had several bouts of spotting and one long stretch of spotting in the summer and fall of 2013, this was due to fibroids.

Today my dr said .. no more bc.

I am excited and scared.
d
anyone out there that has experienced this ?  Did it take a while for you to trust your bosy wasn't going to spit out an egg?

Joyce

Re: No more BC?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:46:51 PM »

Friend of mine was like you, bit scared, but GP said at her age, 56, she was safe enough.

Patientone

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »

I'm 54 1/2

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 02:12:48 PM »

If in doubt use BC.  One needs to be completely free of bleeding for 2 years  ;)

What were you using if that isn't a cheeky question?

Patientone

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »

We have been using condoms, which with my irregularity had to be 100% of the time, so we're more that tired of that.

My Dr has always said 1 year. She also said the spotting I was having was due to my fibroids.

I faithfully chart my basal temperature, I have not ovulated since December 2012.

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 03:21:06 PM »

I was told that over the age of 50, being free of periods for 1 year was the length of time needed to be sure BC wasn't necessary.

Also, see menu on the left:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contra1.php
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:23:32 PM by Limpy »

Patientone

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 03:29:25 PM »

Seeing that I am in the 'over' 50 category  :-\  I needed 1 year.

I'm at 1 1/2 years.

My last FSH was 58.3.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 04:24:20 PM »

:-\ ………..

What does your GP propose to do about the fibroids?   I had a small polyp which bled on contact, my Gynae wanted to remove it but I cancelled the op. (long story short): the polyp shrunk at peri-menopause !

Patientone

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »

I went to my GYN for this, not GP.

I went in a panic last November because I had been spotting for 3 weeks, (just a wipe on the TP), that's when she did all the testing and determinded that the bleeding was coming from the fibroids. it finally stopped after 7 weeks. (UGH!). I haven't had any bleeding since.

She had me repeat the transvaginal ultrasound at 6 months, I went a couple weeks ago and this second showed they are stable. I am due to go back in December for my yearly, but don't have to see her sooner if I start bleeding again.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 04:29:21 PM »

That's good!  Onwards and upwards then ……….

Patientone

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 04:42:56 PM »

Yes, but every day I look for it's return  :(

The hope is that the further I get into menopause, they will shrink or at least be nonsymptomatic, if they grow or start bleeding again, it could leas to a hysterectomy.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 05:17:14 PM »

I stopped at 54 on docs advice. I was on HRT at the time so had no idea whether my periods had finished or not.

Taz x

Patientone

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 05:47:12 PM »

Taz .. did you trust it right away or did it take time for you to not think about it ?

I think I'm paranoid.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 05:58:50 PM »

It was very strange at first but I was in a fairly new relationship so soon got over the "shall we shan't we" question!  ;D

You've gone over a year without a period and you are 54 - the two things together mean you are doubly sure that you wont get pregnant I would think. Enjoy yourselves!

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 06:18:41 PM »

I have to confess that for the first year after I was told I didn't need BC I still did fairly regular pregnancy tests, it was the only way I could relax and enjoy whoopee episodes.  ::)

However, I think Taz is totally correct, your age and length of time without a period mean you should be safe - Go for it!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4