Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ovaries getting removed  (Read 10005 times)

Joyce

Re: Ovaries getting removed
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »

58 now, over 10 years ago since they were removed. I'm on HRT these days & doing fine.  I was resigned to it happening all those years ago, having had hysterectomy 10 years previously

tiger74

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »

is it to late to change my mind?

The point at which it is too late to change your mind is after you've been put under anaesthetic.  You have to consent to the exact surgical procedure which will be carried out, you have the right not to consent or to withdraw your consent.

I had both ovaries removed at the age of 48 (it was a prophylactic procedure because of genetic pre-disposition to cancer).  Yeah, I've had menopausal symptoms with which to contend but nothing else such as depression.  You will read about all sorts of horrendous side-effects on the internet.   You may or may not be similarly affected and if you're able to take HRT afterwards then any symptoms may be lessened anyway.

I hope your appointment goes well on Tuesday and you are able to get answers to all your questions and feel confident and empowered to make decisions about the best way forward for you.

Best wishes.   
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 06:10:33 PM by tiger74 »

Winnie

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 11:43:50 AM »

Hi Cubagirl,

You were asking my age I am 50.   I have just had the operation on the 24th July 2014 had both ovaries removed and they took away my tubes as I had an egg stuck in one of them.  Now what I want to know is how soon will all these horrible symptoms return.  I have been taken off HRT as I was so near the actual menopause and told to take antidepressants not sure how soon I should start taking them after this operation.  Very tearful today and yesterday so don't know if this is the start of everything.  This whole meno thing is so confusing?
Any help and advice much appreciated.
Winnie

tiger74

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 12:16:27 PM »

Hi Winnie,

Hope you recover well from the operation. 

What reasons were you give for being taken off HRT?  Seems a bit strange.  I was told I would automatically have been put onto HRT having had my ovaries removed just before my 49th birthday (but was not prescribed it because of previous medical history).

Are the anti-depressants being prescribed for hot flushes?  I thought that these made them worse for you previously?  I would have thought if you've been given advice to take this medication you should refer back to whoever suggested this and obtain information about timings.

You ask when "all these horrible symptoms return"... maybe they won't.

Wishing you al the best. 

Winnie

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »

Hi tiger

Recovery going well didn't know it was going to be quite as painful as it was but over the worst now.  Although very tearful yesterday and today see what I mean about symptoms returning.  I have been on hrt for 4 years and had moved onto the final stages of menopause if you know what I mean. I was struggling with sudden tiredness
and emotions and it was suggested after the op that antidepressants would be the best thing.
Winnie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 12:30:21 PM »

I don't know how I missed this thread.  Hopefully you will recover slowly and steadily  :foryou: and you have had lots of helpful information.  I would have added, but will still say, that why leave an ovary present if there is any risk of cancer?  My Surgeon was all for removal of both at hysterectomy even if they were 'healthy' because it saves worry, stress and further need for surgery.

Make the most of the rest you can get in this warm weather  ;)

PS - some ADs can help relieve hot flushes.  I also found that once I was 'out of the system' of hospital support I became depressed even though I was already on medication.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:49:42 PM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »

Hi Winnie - hope that you are recovering well. What reason were you given for the withdrawal of HRT? I know that you have to stop, if possible, a month before an op (although not all surgeons want you to unless it is for major surgery) but you should have been put straight back on it as, now, you will need it more than ever.

Taz x

Winnie

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 06:04:56 PM »

Hi Taz & Everyone,

Recovery not going that well day 6 still taking painkillers as pain is bad at times.   Also I find myself in floods of tears yesterday and all day today had to speak with doctor today over the phone.  I have not taken hrt for a week now and this must be the withdrawal.  Reason for being taken off HRT I found out that my father's sister had breast cancer and had both boobs removed and that's why.  Spoke to Gyne and she thought their would be no problem with that as it was not on my side of the family?  So all I can take now is antidepressants  so they say feel really awful.  Any help and advice please.
Winnie

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 06:57:57 PM »

I thought the risk only applied if it came down the maternal side of the family. Mother, sister,aunt. And the further out it goes the lesser the risk. It also depends on the type of cancer involved.

Honeyb
x

Linsey44

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 07:24:57 PM »

Hi Winnie, hope you feel better soon.  Your body has just had a shock by removing ovaries.  I would just like to say that the risk of breast cancer can come from either the maternal or paternal side.  I have BRCA2 mutation from fathers side.

On a positive note I think that by removing ovaries greatly reduces the risk of breast cancer, especially if your relative's breast cancer was hormonally driven your consultant would be able to advise you if this applies to you.

Take care

tiger74

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »

To endorse Linsey44's comment...  inherited breast cancer gene variations can most definitely come from mother or father (and breast cancer can affect either gender, albeit male breast cancer is relatively rare).  I too have a BRCA variation inherited from my father. 

Your personal risk of genetic pre-disposition to breast cancer depends on how many relatives have been diagnosed and age at diagnosis.  One aunt getting breast cancer (in later life?) is hardly likely to prove a genetic disposition, given that 1 in 8 women in UK get breast cancer at some stage in their life.  However, if the breast cancer was bilateral it may be relevant...

Link to useful document for anyone who is interested.
http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/breast-cancer-in-families.pdf

Hope your path to recovery improves Winnie and you feel able to challenge the decision not to prescribe HRT.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:46:42 PM by tiger74 »

Winnie

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 08:16:26 PM »

Hi Tiger

Thank you very much for posting the document link breastcancercare.  It was very interesting reading and has helped put my mind at rest although I need to do a bit more research.  It's hard as it's my Dad's sister that had breast cancer she lives in America and has Alzheimer's so its hard to find out information. I have no idea at what age she got breast cancer? she must have been getting on.  I have to rely on family for information.
Thanks again
Winnie

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »

Take time out for you!  Your body has had a huge shock, physically and emotionally.  Take this time to put feet up, very good book, cuppa to hand  ;) …….. make a list of queries to take to your next appt..  Maybe ask for the BRCA test? 

Winnie

Re: Ovaries removed 3 weeks ago
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 10:34:05 AM »

Hi
Can anyone advice please, I had my ovaries and tubes removed 3 weeks ago  my stomach was swollen up again is this normal will it keep happening?  I have been given antidepressants to help with hot flashes and every time I turn over in bed which is quite a lot off we go hot flush so annoying hardly slept last night.  Can anyone suggest something that will help with this been taken off hrt for a month doctors order's doesn't help that I had the coil removed as well at the same time so I am proper cold turkey.  I read that vitamin B complex can help with this ? Up the wall but at least I managed to get back at work but only part-time.
Winnie

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »

You need to ring your Consultant's secretary and ask the question.  When are you due for a check up? 
Pages: 1 [2] 3