Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Herbal supplements to help with estrogen  (Read 2859 times)

Sharr76

Herbal supplements to help with estrogen
« on: June 18, 2014, 10:20:01 AM »

Hi all,

what herbal supplements if any do you use to help with estrogen, anyone got a favourite?

I am looking at starting something herbal as a starter

juliekim

Re: Herbal supplements to help with estrogen
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »

Hi Sharr76,

I used Menoforce sage tablets by A Vogel for the first year.  They kicked in about 3 or 4 weeks after taking them and worked for around a year, stoppping flushes and helping with sleep.  Then they stopped, at that point I started to look into other herbal tablets, but nothing worked, so after a truly awful last summer, I started Estrogel and Utrogestan in December 2013 and haven't looked back!

I would definitely recommend Menoforce as I know it has worked for other women I know too.

Hope that helps,

Best wishes,

Julie

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:55:18 PM »

Hi Sharr76
I'm afraid I have tried the lot and nothing worked for me. There is a section 'Alternative Therapies' to the left of this screen that gives some suggestions and I believe acupuncture is the most effective.  I personally wouldn't spend too much money on herbal stuff.  Looking at your diet and exercise is the most important and beneficial thing you can do to get through the menopause .
Menopace do a good vitamin supplement that has some phytoestrogens that are supposed to help.
I believe there have been various studies done regarding herbal remedies and none have come up with any real evidence that they work.  Some women report that they work for a while then stop working - well, when you are peri meno the symptoms are often not too bad and seem to fluctuate but when the hormone levels drop as you get into post meno then the hormone levels drop and this is often when the symptoms really emerge - this is why women think the herbs have stopped working.
I think they seem to work for those women who don't really have bad meno symptoms anyway.
Do be aware that herbs can have toxic effects so need to be taken with care.
HRT is really the only 'natural way' to help if you have significant meno symptoms.
If I was you I would put aside the money you would spend on herbal remedies and have a holiday instead?!!  DG x

Linsey44

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:14:37 PM »

Hi sharr, i used to take sage complex which i got from victoria health, also,vit e 400iu twice a day.  I found it helped but im not allowed to take sage any more for health issue.

Have a look at the site there are articles written by qualified pharmacist.