Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New here and distressed  (Read 2915 times)

treesha

New here and distressed
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:55:48 AM »

Hello lovely ladies can anybody help me? I am trying hrt again after a disastrous attempt 4 1/2 yrs ago I started perimenopause in 2010 at the ripe old age of 42 and was put on femoston all was good for 3 months until i developed a breast abcess.  To cut a long story short I spent 6 months in and out of hospital and had 3 operations.  I then stopped hrt.  My problem now is after 4 yrs my symptoms are soooo bad I'm giving it another go but whereas last time hrt worked very quickly this time doesn't seem to be doing anything. How long does it  usually take to kick in ???? This summer heat is boiling me alive slowly it's torturous xxx

littleminnie

Re: New here and distressed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 07:45:25 AM »

Welcome Treesha,  mine kicked in after 2 weeks (for the flushes).. Which HRT are you on?

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:47:17 AM »

Hi treesha.

Sorry to hear about your journey so far.  HRT can take a few weeks to kick in, no specific timescale. Can be within a week but most take a few weeks. I was about 4 weeks before I started cooling off. I sympathise, flushes are so draining.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:03:50 AM »

Hi treesha.

Patches tend to work faster to alleviate hot flushes/sweats. Which HRT have you been given?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

treesha

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 12:31:10 PM »

Thank you all for replying. I'm on femoston 1/10  the same as last time. I've been taking it for 2 weeks and still can't sleep at night with hot sweats keeping  me awake. During the day is just as bad. I can't wait to feel like l have dry clothes! My head throbs so badly I feel faint all the time :(

choc57

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 01:34:07 PM »

Sorry to hear you're having such a bad time. I went on Elleste Duet 1mg 4 months ago. The daytime sweats took about 1 month to go but the night time ones took a whole 3 months and I didn't notice any difference at all for 2 months. Like you I was desperate. Annoyingly after just 3 weeks of no sweats they've crept back a bit. I'm having only 1 or 2 each night and none during the day and they're much more manageable. I'm going to give it a few more weeks before thinking about upping the dose as I'm worried I'll get other problems if my oestrogen is too high. So yes it could take a little longer. I'd stick with it though and you should soon see some results!! :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »

Hi treesha and welcome to MM
You are now further into your menopause than before and your oestrogen levels will be very low.  It's good you are trying HRT again to protect your heart and bones.  Femoston is tolerated well by many ladies because it has a kinder progesterone - so this is a good one to take.  You are taking the lower dose and at your age you may need the higher dose (2mg) to get relief from your symptoms.  Having said this, it takes some time for the oestrogen levels to build up and you may find flushes etc gradually get better. If you are still not getting relief after a couple of months I would ask if you can take the higher dose.
Keep us posted. Good luck  DG xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 03:50:09 PM »

:welcomemm:  have a read of the menus, left of screen.  Have a word with a Pharmacist locally they have private rooms now, ask whether it is necessary to up the dosage.

treesha

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 04:13:11 PM »

Re bones and heart that is one reason I am trying again. There's a history of heart probs in my family ( maternal side ) plus not long after all my breast surgeries I developed rheumatoid disease and I'm concerned the lack of hormones may lead to osteo problems.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »

Rheumatoid is an auto-immune disease.  Can often be hormonally triggered, someone I know developed this during pregnancy and it took 18 months after delivery before symptoms eased.

Do you get regular check ups with a Consultant?

Years ago Gold injections were used into the joints of patients badly affected.  Like expensive WD40  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »

Gold injections are still used CLKD - sadly it's not pure gold after all http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/gold-injections.aspx

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 07:14:21 PM »

:thankyou: I've held many a hand (usually a male patient) whilst the injections are given  ;)