Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Patches and Estradiol Levels  (Read 2948 times)

Dana

Patches and Estradiol Levels
« on: June 11, 2014, 01:45:10 AM »

Hi Ladies

I've been struggling a bit lately (heart palps, insomnia) and after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, I'm starting to suspect it's my estradiol level that's the problem. There are a few possibilities …..

(a) I'm using Estradot 50 patches and possibly I'm not absorbing them properly
(b) The patches I have are faulty, but I did get a new box which are a different batch number and I still have the problem
(c) I may need to increase my estradiol dose.

I'm currently switching over to estradiol tablets to see if it's the patches that are at fault, but I'm curious as to whether it would be normal for me to need to increase my estradiol dose, seeing as I've been post-meno now for at least 3-4 years. I would have thought that things would be fairly stable by now, dose-wise. In fact I was even thinking about starting to experiment with reducing my dose. Looks like that's off the cards for a while now.

Has anyone needed to increase their dose after being post-meno for a few years? I'd prefer not to, unless I absolutely have to, because I don't get on very well with progesterone, and I really don't want to have to take more than I need to.

Also, has anyone else had problems absorbing the estradiol in their patches, or had any general problems with their patches?

Hurdity

Re: Patches and Estradiol Levels
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »

Hi Dana

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

I have been on the same dose of estradiol as patches ever since I was late peri-meno at almost 54 (over 7 years ago now) and have never had to increase the dose due to increase in symptoms. The only time I've had a resumption of symptoms ( ie flushes and sweats) has been when I've reduced the dose or stopped HRT altogether (the latter brought on other bad symptoms too).

For the first couple of years post-meno ( ie since the date of the last natural period), the body's estradiol levels continue to fall until they reach a more or less stable low level. It would be surprising I would have thought to suddenly need more at your stage - but we are all different! It also may depend on what other medication you might be on, eg thyroid or other meds eg ADs so not sure if you are taking anything else?

I don't know about faulty patches - as I said I have never experienced any problems even if the patch falls off or I leave it on a bit too long - I never notice (well I would after a couple of weeks I'm sure!). I use Estradot 50.

I haven't really had proper heart palps though - but maybe there are also other causes - and I only suffer from proper insomnia when I've had hot flushes.

Sorry I can't offer any helpful suggestions - and only share my experiences but hopefully someone else will be along who can be a bit more helpful!

Hurdity x

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »

I was on the Evorel 50 patches for over a year when started getting meno symptoms badly again, so they moved me up to the 75s. Touch wood...I have spells where it doesn't feel as if it's being as well absorbed either, but that (so far) has resolved.

Dana

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:54:46 PM »

Thanks for your replies. I think I'm starting to feel a bit better, now that I'm fully on the 2mg tablets, which is good because it doesn't look like I need to increase my dose after all.

I have no idea if the patches are at fault, or if I'm just not absorbing them properly all of a sudden, but I'll leave well enough alone for a while. Maybe I'll try the patches again in a couple of months. Then, if things go off the rails again, I'll know for sure that's the problem.