Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: is 37 too young?  (Read 5248 times)

khandi

is 37 too young?
« on: June 09, 2014, 09:38:14 PM »

I think I might be starting the menopause . My periods are irregular, I am having the odd hot flush, ,but the worst thing is the anxiety. I keep having a horrible feeling that somethin is going to go badly wrong. I worry about everything. I have been like this for about six months and its getting worse. I a have had a few full blown panic attacks. Sometimes I feel like my brain won't just switch off no matter what I try I can't stop worrying and obsessing about things going wrong. I am having  blood test on Wednesday. I am really not coping I feel like I am going mad.

dahliagirl

Re: is 37 too young?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:26:28 AM »

Hi - no personal experience, but as far as I know, no age is too young.

Here is the Daisy Network site: http://www.daisynetwork.org.uk/

Hopefully, someone else will be more knowledgeable.  You do need to see the doctor to make sure it is not something else, or for help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »

Welcome!  Ask your GP what the blood test will cover, i.e. thyroid function, iron count; hormone blood tests are notoriously un-reliable!

Have a read of the menus, left of screen.  Browse round.  Take a list with you to the GP too.  Don't be fobbed off with the 'too young' scenario, if you are having symptoms then something is going on!

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »

hello khandi and welcome from me too.

Your symptoms sound like menopause to me and although 37 is young it certainly does happen.

Let us know how you get on when you see your doctor and as CLKD says, don't be fobbed off, you are young and deserve the correct treatment.

Take care.

K.

khandi

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 03:15:56 PM »

Go is testing for thyroid function, fsh  and fbc . Asked around family my mother was about 40 ( she's no longer with us to ask for sure) and my nan was 36 when her periods stopped. My nan suffered from osteoporosis of the spine for years, she also had problems with blood pressure. My mother died of a heart undiagnosed heart problem. I guess these thing can run in family. I don't really care about not being able to have any more children. The health implications and anxiety attacks are my biggest worry. I just want to feel like me again!

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 03:28:15 PM »

If it is an early meno then it's very important to get started on HRT as soon as possible. It will protect your heart and your bones and you need to stay on it at least until the normal meno age of early 50s.
I would mention your family history to your GP as it makes it even more important that you are given hormones to replace what should be naturally yours.

Honeyb
x

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 06:42:10 PM »

Sounds like me. I also started @ 37 terrible panic attacks and this went onto become full blow meno. Do start on HRT if you can get some blood results to see what your FSH is doing, you are young but it happens, to many more than you think.
All the best.

Suzi Q

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 01:59:41 AM »

I think I might be starting the menopause . My periods are irregular, I am having the odd hot flush, ,but the worst thing is the anxiety. I keep having a horrible feeling that somethin is going to go badly wrong. I worry about everything. I have been like this for about six months and its getting worse. I a have had a few full blown panic attacks. Sometimes I feel like my brain won't just switch off no matter what I try I can't stop worrying and obsessing about things going wrong. I am having  blood test on Wednesday. I am really not coping I feel like I am going mad.
No thats the age I started and knowne knew they thought I had a tumour on the brain as I was so dizzy 24/7
I was scared got palpitations Beta Blocas sorted that for me but it took years for them to realise I was premeno
In fact I was almost Menopausal before they found out YOUR NOT GOING MAD OK xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 03:28:12 PM »

Hi khandi
37 certainly not too young to start meno.  I was your age when everything went peri meno. I then asked my mother and she said her and my grandmother had early meno so I think it must run in families - though I've been told this isn't the case (what do doctors know!!!!).
Good you are having tests though they are notoriously unreliable - really the doctor should go by symptoms. If things come back normal then have them done again at a different stage in the cycle if possible.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen so you are clued up.
If they prescribe a low dose HRT then do ask for something like Femoston as it has a kinder progesterone which suits many women. Often GPs prescribe the cheapest HRT like Prempac which has a progesterone that can give nasty PMT symptoms.
Keep us posted .  DG x
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:30:07 PM by Dancinggirl »

khandi

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 08:02:39 PM »

Blood results should be in tomorrow. Is recurrent bladder infections a common symptom of menopause? I seem to have loads lately

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 08:26:32 PM »

Yep and eventually they are not 'infections' but signs of vaginal atrophy.  The walls of the vagina get thin which makes them dry and itchy, mine manifested itself by a feeling of razor blades high up  :o so the GP prescribed pessaries.  Problem eased ……….

Ask your GP initially for a wee test to be sent to a Lab. in case you do need antibiotic therapy.  If the test comes back with 'no growth/clear' then ask for VA treatment.  Usually this is a loading regime, i.e. every night for 2 weeks followed by twice weekly use.

chuffinghormones

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 08:48:30 AM »

I was diagnosed post menopausal last month after nearly a year of horrendous menopausal symptoms.  Anxiety, brain fog, joint pain, mood swings dry skin the list seems endless  :(

My last blood test (I had 4 all indicating menopause) indicated that im post menopausal so GP said it's best to take HRT as im ONLY 31.
After a month of taking hrt I feel loads better  :)

What was your blood test results Khandi? What was GPs advice?