Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: implant  (Read 3411 times)

janhsmn

implant
« on: June 09, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »

just after some advice.  Turned 50 this year and everything is going weird.  Up to two years ago had my periods every four weeks, always a bit heavy but manageable.  Two years ago the started to be every three weeks so was given norithesterone to take days 15 to 28 to make the gap longer.  Every so often had a break from it.  About a year ago went the other way and kept skipping one all together, going up to 8 weeks.  But the last over two weeks now with spotting for first week then really heavy for a week, a couple of days I cannot stray far from a toilet as it is that bad.  Sorry for the gross description.   Asked GP for scan and blood tests to check everything ok as have ovarian cysts in the past.   Over 6 month period had two ultrasound and ovaries could not be seen on either. I was told this was a good sign as they should be ok.  The recent blood test came back with a raised ca125 level of 40 (normal is 35 or under).  So was referred to gyna who repeated it and it came back ok.  I have fibroids and have had them for a long time and they haven't changed.

Spoke to gp and she offered mirena coil but I don't want it as just don't fancy it and had a few friends who have had bad experiences with it.  She has offered me the implant, I hadn't realised I could have that.  My daughter had that for contraceptive purposes and it stopped her periods altogether so sounds good.  Has anyone else tried this for heavy periods at this time of life and how did you get on. Need to do something cos cant carry on like this.

thanks
Jan

Taz2

Re: implant
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 10:50:31 PM »

Hi Jan - just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

I'm not sure which progesterone is in the implant or whether, if you don't get on with it, it is easy to remove. It may be that the mirena would suit you as lots of women have great success with it and, if not, then you could have it taken out again. You seem to have tolerated Norethisterone ok whereas, for a lot of women, the side effects of irritability and depression are quite overwhelming. Everyone reacts differently and it is often a case of trial and error before you find something that suits you.

Someone else will be along soon I'm sure with more experience.

Taz x  :welcomemm: