Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Using Utrogestan Vaginally - GPs Comments  (Read 25208 times)

Kathleen

Using Utrogestan Vaginally - GPs Comments
« on: June 09, 2014, 04:15:50 PM »

Hello Ladies.

I wondered if it was possible to use vaginally the Utrogestan 100mg tablets that I had been prescribed and told to take orally.

I saw my GP today and asked if Utrogestan 100mg suppositories were available to treat the menopause. He searched his computer and said that a 200mg dose was listed under the 'off license' heading and he thinks they are primarily used for fertility problems and to prevent early delivery.

I don't want to increase my dose to 200mg so I will take my 100mg orally from now on ( I didn't admit that I had been experimenting with using the tablets vaginally for the last two weeks...ooops).

Hope this information is of help to someone. That's the things about menopause, always something new to learn!

Take care ladies.

K.

Taz2

Re: Using Utrogestan Vaginally - GPs Comments
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:30:41 PM »

Hi Kathleen - yes your doc is right in the fact that it is not licensed to be used vaginally for menopausal symptoms but lots of women get really good results using it this way. Just because it's unlicensed doesn't mean that it doesn't work. Private clinics in particular advise it to be used in this way from what I have gathered from reading posts on here.

If you are able to take it orally then obviously this is right for you and how it is designed to be used but some women can't because of problems with nausea and vaginal use is better for them.

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 04:35:02 PM »

Kathleen - Hopefully Hurdity will be along soon with her advice on Utrogestan.
I understand you can certainly use utrogestan vaginally - 100 or 200mg.  In fact I believe it will be better absorbed and cause fewer side effects.
  DG x

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 06:22:27 PM »

I have used it vaginally for prob close on 10 yrs, many women have. I see a private gynae, he is quite happy with this method, it does what it is supposed to, in fact, it works in a more direct way on the uterus than taking it orally.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:39:56 PM »

Hi Kathleen

I agree with what's already been said. I have been using it vaginally for much shorter time than Cassie - for almost 3 years, and have never used it orally. I think I explained I get mine on the NHS - but I arrived at my dosage and cycle through discussions on here over the past 3 years, from published papers on the subject, and from what others have reported about their private gynaes - as Taz said.

I am lucky in that my GP is enlightened and she agrees with what I am doing - both the two monthly cycle and the vaginal use - but she has prescribed Cyclogest (progesterone pessary/suppository) off licence for years anyway.

It is exactly the same capsule (Utrogestan) which is prescribed orally and which some of us use vaginally, and yes the same capsule (200 mg) is available and prescribed vaginally for fertility treatment.

So - the answer is, if you want to use it vaginally due to side effects from oral use - then yes you can. I can't remember how many days you will be taking it for but some women could probably get away with a lower dose than 100 mg vaginally for endometrial protection on the continuous combined regime (and with a low-medium oestrogen dose) - although a lower dose isn't available. I know some women have tried every alternate day vaginally (for a continuous combined - no-bleed regime) but probably best only to do this is you are sure you are getting scanned regularly and with doctor's approval.

Yes I'm still learning!

Hurdity x