Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Needing some help  (Read 11530 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Needing some help
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »

Honeybun:  "Upshot was that the problem was in my shoulder, and after massage and ultrasound it gradually improved, probably over 3 months. Physio said my shoulder and neck were very tight. … "

It is unlikely to be trigenimal neuralgia as that stems from behind the face as I stated above.  The operation to ease those symptoms is via the back of the head, the surgeon then releases the blood vessel pressing on the nerve route.  It is a sudden, painful, shock - no treatment eased my symptoms but fortunately it went as sudden as it had arrived.  Until I had dental treatment 2 years ago which triggered symptoms until the bruising settled.

I hope that once you have spoken to the dental surgery and explained you will feel easier.  DO NOT take any valium etc. unless the surgery tell you it's OK in case intervention is required.

babyjane

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 02:39:08 PM »

I carry tension in my TM (jaw joint). A few years ago it was acute and I couldn't eat or talk. The dentist referred me to the maxilo facial consultant who referred me to the physio at the hospital who gave me some exercises but the results were minimal. I was also fitted with a night guard to stop me from clenching my teeth at night but I bit through it! It was not until I saw a chiropractor who realigned my jaw that I started improving. It took a while but it doesn't flare up very often at all now.
The muscle that works your jaw is apparently like a thick rope and goes down in front of your ear and down your neck so if it is TMJ you will feel it from the top of your head into your neck and shoulder.

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »

It goes from in front of my ear, down my jaw then to my collar bone and then my shoulder.  :-\

Maybe need the GP rather than the dentist.

I am terrible for putting these things off. Always want to wait just another day to see if it gets better on its own.

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »

bless you, I am the opposite, I have a very low tolerance for pain or discomfort and always imagine it is something far worse than it is, so start looking for answers as soon as something crops up either from GP pharmacist or chiropractor. I can be a right baby and everyone knows about it  :)

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 03:01:12 PM »

BabyJane - I'm the same, off to the GP/Practice Nurse ASAP - dentist even faster if I'm in pain  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 03:06:16 PM »

If GP doesn't scare you & you can get seen quickly I'd try there first. Of course GP may say have you tried the dentist. Maybe if you got phone appointment with GP, they could advise what's best course of action.

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:41 PM »

Tomorrow CG.  ::)

I have always been the same. I make others go and then don't follow my own advice. If it was something serious I would not put it off but for the niggly things I always go to bed thinking it will be better in the morning.

I have given myself a cut off date of Thursday as I don't want to get to the weekend and regret not going. Fingers crossed it will be gone by then.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »

You are prevaricating.  Think of your heart! symptoms in women are different to men  :-\

oldsheep

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 01:45:58 PM »

Honeyb, physio would be the treatment for TMJ. I've had 2 dental X ray appointments thinking I had toothache - it's even cold sensitive - but it was that. It traps the damn nerves too.

I hope you can explain to a nice dentist what the problem is. A friend of mine's daughter is training to be a dentist. Her main interest is in helping phobic patients, as she says it's too often ignored. I'm sure there must be a way to do it, even if it's 4mg valium (it does take 40 mins to work....).
Have you tried visualisation techniques - close your eyes and take yourself elsewhere? Or listening to spoken word or music while in the chair?
good luck x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 09:56:10 PM »

A French dentist offered tapes to listen to, trouble was, I nodded my head to the music  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]