Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New Puppy  (Read 12212 times)

Smokey

New Puppy
« on: June 07, 2014, 08:33:38 PM »

Im getting a new best friend,a. Labrador puppy, my old dog had to be put to sleep last October aged 13, she had a massive tumor on her chest.
We had said we wouldn't get another, but after time re-considered and chose our puppy at 10 days old from a repeatable Gun dog breeder, who had just had two litters, we have been visiting every week and witnessing him growing up and next week we shall be collecting him and settling him in to his new home with us.

It reminds me of when we had our first baby, all the new things you get, stair gate ,
Toys , bedding and food etc.

We've do e the garden up and made it puppy proof, got rid of poisonous plants and made special grassy area just for him to do his business in.

I'm getting excited now! Just like a kid at Christmas.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New Puppy
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:35:47 PM »

Black, yellow or chocolate?  Name …….. newspapers  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:00:48 PM »

Sleepless nights too.  ::)

Enjoy your new puppy, there is nothing nicer.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 09:05:27 PM »

Let him sleep in the same room to begin with and wean him 'backwards' …….. if you want him in the kitchen later.  He wont' go through the night initially so lots of puppy training pads  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 09:47:49 PM »

Hi Smokey
How exciting!  I know exactly what you are going through.
We very sadly lost our Boarder Terrier, Teddy, nearly 3 years ago - he was only 7 when we found him dead on the lawn after he had gone out to do his usual evening sniff around.  We had an autopsy done and the vet could find nothing wrong but said it was probably a brain haemorrhage which can happen at any time.  We were devastated - I can honestly say we were in shock for weeks.  The only way forward for me was to get another dog - for me a home is not a home without a dog. I researched for some good Border Terrier breeders and several kind and understanding breeders listened to me blubbering down the phone about my loss. Some had puppies available but the one that I liked the most said she bred for 'good temperament' which I liked the sound of - terriers can be feisty. She was expecting one of her girls to produce  a litter in 2 weeks if I was prepared to wait and she would give me first choice. We got to meet the puppies at 3 weeks - I sat cuddling these little black bundles crying my heart out. Like you we visited the puppies several times and chose the one we wanted.
Stanley has been a delight from the start (now two and a half) - a lovely temperament and we have spoilt him dreadfully - we tell him he is leading the life that Teddy should have had - he is frankly the centre of our world which is ridiculous!!!!!
Are you going to use a cage - I have found it so useful as it's a safe haven for them at night and if you do have to leave them for a short time you know they are safe and not chewing things they shouldn't - also great for car journeys.
Gun dog labradors are so intelligent they are usually easy to train but the first year with any dog is pretty full on - puppies are cute but hard work. You are so right, it is just like having a new baby. You've had dogs before so I'm sure you know what you need to do - our breeder gave us a whole pack of instructions with really good hints and tips about house training etc. and though I have had dogs all my life I found it really helpful. The breeder also gave us a transfer blanket from his mum's bedding to put in his bed. Stanley still cried for ages every night for over 3 weeks (we had to move the cage down to the kitchen by night 3 as we really needed to get some sleep) before he finally settled down and because we used a cage he was dry through the night very quickly - they don't like to soil their bedding. A friend of mine actually slept with his labrador cross puppy down in the kitchen for the first night - I have to say his dog is beautifully trained.
I wish you lots & lots of luck with your new family member.
Do keep us posted. DG x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 06:57:43 AM »

I have always cage trained my dogs. It's a great house training method and like DG says you can leave them and know they are safe.
A new pup is hard work but so rewarding as you get to know them.

Have fun.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »

Dancing Girl - surely the Vet. did a full autopsy which would include the brain?  Such a shock for you all! 

We didn't have a cage when ours were pups ……… OK for the day time but I think it's better to let a puppy out to pee in the night until they are a little older.  Mine didn't go through the night until she was nearly 3 years old, so having her by the bed saved much clearing up downstairs  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 02:13:53 PM »

That's the whole point of cage training. They won't go where they sleep so learn to hold on. House trains them so much quicker than any other method. Our dog sleeps in our bedroom but would have not even considered it until I k we there would be no accidents.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »

Ours didn't puddle in the bedroom, she would leap onto my chest to wake me then dash down in front.  Always got outside until she was much older …….. then it was because she slept so heavily that she didn't wake in time.

Also having her in our room meant we never had accidents when on holiday  ;)

Smokey

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 07:41:04 PM »

Hi CLKD,honeybun and Dancingirl.

Such a shame about your Teddy, it must have been heartbreaking!

Yes he is being crate trained, and already at 7 weeks is part toilet trained, by breeder I guess it also helps having some siblings to follow.

he is called Toby and is cream coloured just like the Andrex puppy, his Mum is black and his Dad is ginger coloured, he has bits of ginger on the tips of his ears (toby that is).
He is sleeping in the conservatory until the weather gets colder with our two cats, a silver Tabby aged 4 and our pensioner aged 13. He will be in his cage with the door shut with small soft bed and he is going to be put out for a final wee at about 11pm -12pm then not again until 5-6 am, we won't hear him cry during the night as luckly
We had new windows at the beginning of the year and thankfully we chose Triple glazing! My cats meow and it's like a silent movie watching them through the window, Dancingirl he will also be given a small towel with his mum and other pups scent on it,I guess it's like a baby having a teddy.

My husband is taking time off and getting up to do wee patrol as I need my sleep, especially as I have ms, we have chosen a Labrador as they are good at senseing things and really tune in to your feelings, but I'm ok at the moment but you never know what the future may hold.

I have a book all about training Labs it's surprising how intelligent they are, hopefully it won't take too long, as long as he walks on the lead without pulling me over, our other dog was a spaniel cross and a rescue dog but she was terrible on the Leed. I've been to by the breeder training is all about ignoring the bad behaviour and distracting them by showing them something that's more interesting maybe a interesting toy or teething ring. My other dog eat the pine kitchen when we left him on his own !

I'll keep you posted x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »

Hi Smokey
You've got it all sussed and ready. When I got Teddy as a puppy at 8 weeks the breeder had already house trained him and I think we only had one 'accident' in the house!!! Stanley hadn't been outside so took a bit longer on the house training but was pretty quick to learn.
Top tip I was given: when puppies use their razor sharp teeth we were advised to 'yelp' like a puppy whenever they accidentally bit or chewed our hands (or any other part of us) particularly when playing.  Apparently this is what their brothers and sisters would do during play and it lets each other know that it hurts. I remember the first time Stanley tried to chew my hand and I yelped he looked so startled and upset and started to lick my hand as if to say sorry - soooo sweet. He very quickly learned never to use his teeth with humans.
Good luck with Toby.  Keep us posted.  DG xxx

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 09:41:26 PM »

Re a big dog which could pull you over. Use a halti. A collar means they pull with powerful shoulders a halti goes over his head and nose and they don't like that.

My nephew has two labs. They are eating machines and gain weight very quickly. They are lovely affectionate dogs.

Honeyb
x

Dyan

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 08:03:09 AM »

Hi smokey,
So pleased to hear your news.
As you might have read I had to have my Bernese mountain dog put to sleep a week ago.
Missing her so much.

We used a halti on her for her walks.
I would recommend them as they do stop pulling which makes walking them even more enjoyable.
I felt more in control using a halti.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 01:59:15 PM »

I just typed a whole message and it disappeared from the screen  :-\

right: your pup's mum is black and his dad is probably yellow or 'red', there is no such colouring as 'ginger' in Labs., Toby is therefore a yellow Lab. and you may find that the ginger ear tips grow out with his first moult.  Many years ago my friend had 2 yellow pups from the 'Andrex' puppy line, same sire, different dam - they bumbled along at 9 weeks old on little stubby legs, happy pups ……..  :-*

What other colours are in the litter: and, any left ……….  ;)

Also - yelping is what the bitch does too, when those little teeth are biting sharply on her nipples  :o  :-X ...... I can recall JUST how sharp milk teeth are .......... it usually works especially if you yelp right into the pup's face, makes them think .......
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 08:35:26 PM by CLKD »

Smokey

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »

Hi Girls,

Thanks for the advise about the Halti lead I will have a look at them when I'm in pet shop next.

Dyan I didn't know, I'm so sorry, after time do you think you will get another one?

I'll also remember about yelping if he gets carried away with his teeth!

I will keep you postedxx
Pages: [1] 2 3