Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Help! Problem with utrogestan  (Read 4017 times)

ClaraBee

• First Flush
Help! Problem with utrogestan
« on: June 06, 2014, 01:46:42 PM »

I would welcome some advice from all you forum ladies. I've had my 3 month review today with my lovely but not very clued up male GP and need some help as to what to do next .
I was not aware at the time, my meno started around 37/38 years with the odd missed period followed by periods gradually getting closer together. I muddled through until I was 42 by which time I was bleeding almost constantly and finally plucked up the courage to visit my then female GP and was referred for a hysteroscopy and Novasure ablation shortly before my 43rd birthday, about a month later went completely bonkers as meno symptoms hit big time although I was still in denial and GP prescribed ADs for a short time.
At a review appointment my gynae thought hrt would make me feel a million times better and recommended Kliofem for my long term health, although GP strongly disagreed she prescribed it anyway. I stayed on Kliofem for nearly 2 years waiting for that magic moment when I would finally feel like me again. Unfortunately it never came and now realise that maybe the norethisterone was to blame, BP had increased to the upper end of normal and I became very negative, lacked energy or motivation to do anything. Came off hrt completely last Christmas and following couple of weeks of going cold turkey the night sweats/sleep problems/anxiety/heart palpations returned but I felt much happier in myself. My new GP put me onto Prempak C (higher dose) which I only managed for 2 cycles before realising the prog was just not agreeing, awful pms symptoms and increasingly irritated particularly with husband but no withdrawal bleed as expected.
Now aged 45 and armed with info from MM I went back to GP in March and he agreed to try Estrogel and Utrogestan 100 even though never prescribed before. I had to up the gel to 1 pump morning and 2 evening for meno relief but am struggling with the utro, tried 25 days oral, now just finished 2nd cycle of 12 days vaginally but still experienced awful prog intolerance, still no bleed just some cramps.
My question is if the Utro is making me so down in the dumps, extremely tired, negative, depressed, irritated etc what do I do next? Ask to be referred back to original gynae (even though wasn't given the best advice) or new gynae GP has recommended? Try yet another hrt, he suggested Premique (low dose)? Try Utro for the minimum 7 days/month (I'm ok for 3-4 days)? Try continuous alternate days (to keep constant level)? Or maybe long cycle of Utro? I'm feeling great on the gel but the utro is really getting me down for half the month.
Sorry for such a long post and thank you in advance for your replies.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help! Problem with utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »

:welcomemm:  I'm sure someone will be along soon! or do a search for Utrogestan?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »

Hi ClaraBee
Hopefully Hurdity will be along with advice - she is the expert on Utrogestan. I think you have to be careful how you take Utrogestan so mucking about with the way you take it may not be wise. You are using quite a high dose of oestrogen so you need to either take Utrogestan continuously or a higher dose(200mg) for a shorter time to protect your uterus from thickening.
I assume you are now post meno?
You could try having a Mirena fitted.   I had one for over 4 years as I found that progesterone was a problem for me.  The theory is that the progesterone from the Mirena is only absorbed locally so shouldn't effect you systemically too much.  Some women still find they get side effects though - however it might be worth trying?
Don't use premique - old fashioned HRT - it happens to be cheap so GPs like to prescribe it - low dose wouldn't help your symptoms if you are having to use 3 pumps of oestrogel per day.
The only other HRT you could try first is Femoston as the progesterone in it is kinder and well tolerated by many. Femoston comes in sequi and conti and in different strengths.
It is important you use HRT as you are still too young to be without oestrogen to protect your heart and bones so you need to persevere until you find the right HRT. 
If your GP has a better gynae to see then this could be a good option or is there a meno clinic near you? DG x

bramble

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »

Premique is an old HRT but there is a reason it is still around - it works for a lot of women! I found it the best of all the HRTs I tried, in both the medium and low dose pills.
Bramble

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 06:54:15 PM »

Very interesting Bramble. It gave me terrible PMT!!! There you go - what works for one lady doesn't for another.  DG xxx

ClaraBee

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »

Thanks for the replies.
Dancinggirl, I'm not really sure if post meno or not but as no period since ablation nearly 3 years ago then presume I am? Mirena was considered before ablation but I declined as I don't really do foreign things in my body due to some weird allergies, GP mentioned it again today can see the logic in it but just not convinced plus it's not something I can just whip out when I've had enough! x

ClaraBee

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 07:23:01 PM »

Brambles, very true about the older hrts my first GP said same thing years ago that oldies still work the best. Although not sure about anything made from horse pee myself, GP suggested as different and low dose of prog but have since googled it and think the estrogen is too low dose for bone protection x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 07:25:37 PM »

Hi Clarabee

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your problems - and you sound like a classic case of progesterone intolerance. I'm not a particular expert but I have been using utrogestan for 3 years!

I agree with what Dancinggirl says in her posts about the different options - Mirena coil (in the hope that not much is absorbed systemically), Femoston, or continue with Estrogel and utrogestan but with a shorter cycle of progesterone.

Before agreeing to the gynae referral I would find out a bit about the new gynae - whether s/he prescribes "bio-identical" HRT ie estradiol and progesterone, and not just one of the proprietary combi formulations you were given before. As Dancinggirl says I would not muck about with your cycle except under medical supervision because it is important to make sure the lining is shed to minimise chances of endometrial hyperplasia, and a gynae would ensure you were scanned reguarly. Theoretically you could use Utrogestan for 7 days per months if using vaginally - depending on your own absoprtion but as I said - only under medical supervision.

Have a look at John Studd's website - he talks about progesterone intolerance and shorter progesterone doses - but of course he is a very expensive private gynae. http://www.studd.co.uk/

Depending on where you are in the country you might be able to ask for a specfic referral? Nick Panay practices on NHS (London) as well as privately and I understand also is open to varying cycle lengths.

The menopause clinics are all listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/clinicfinder.php

Hope this helps!

Hurdity x

ClaraBee

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 08:14:43 PM »

Thanks I have read up on Prof Stuff and Nick Panay. Do you need to live nearby to be referred to nhs clinic? I am only couple hours away but travelling to London is a bit out of my comfort zone at moment, waiting to see what GP comes up with as he's promised to find best person to help at local hospital.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »

I think you would have to see Studd or Panay privately.
Hopefully your GP will find a good gynae locally - it sounds as though you have a good GP who is really trying to help. If you want to give pills another go do try Femoston as the progesterone is well tolerated by many women. I still think you might do well with the Mirena and oestrogen in gel or patch. Keep us posted.  DG x