Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Ortho Gynest - Replacement  (Read 8702 times)

janm

Ortho Gynest - Replacement
« on: June 03, 2014, 07:28:42 AM »

Well, despite being assured by my GP a few months ago (she looked it up) that Ortho Gynest was NOT being discontinued, when I went for the last repeat prescription the chemist said ITS BEEN DISCONTINUED >:(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:51:04 PM by janm »

Morwenna

Re: Ortho Gynest - Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:55:32 AM »

I'm in exactly the same situation. My OG pessaries are due to run out very soon and Gynest cream is waiting in the wings to replace them. Something I noticed - the Gynest cream contains a much lower percentage of Estriol than the pessaries so it doesn't take a genius to work out it's going to have to be used more than twice a week - and I've only been prescribed one tube! In addition, the 'residue' from the pessaries irritates my OH (stings), however that was something we were prepared to put up with twice a week - but on a regular basis it's going to become a (literal) pain!  :o  I'm sorry but I don't know what the answer is - just thought I'd post to let you know you're not alone with your concerns and let's hope someone comes up with a solution  :-\

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 11:23:14 AM »

Some people on here have tried estring, which is nearer to the old 25mg vagifem in dose.

janm

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 12:45:32 PM »

Thanks Dahliagirl, maybe that's another avenue to explore. So far Drs have not brought up the option of Estring, but I certainly will when I go back.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »

I'm using the Estring and after 6 weeks of having it in I started to feel a bit more comfortable. I'm still getting some burning but things are generally better - I've even been able to have sex, Yes!!!!!
I tried Vagifem, Gynest and Ovestin - the Estring is the best so far.  Also you put it in and forget about it for 3 months - how fab!!! I think it does give a higher dose overall but of cause it's constant which must be better.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »

Hi

Regarding the estriol content of the different formulations, I think it is supposed to be the same.

One Orthogynest pessary contains 0.5 mg estriol, the same as one applicator dose of Ovestin.

I can't find out how many g of cream is found in one applicator dose of Gynest cream but I imagine it will give the same dose of estriol. I have an applicator ( which I've never used) and it looks like it can contain quite a lot of cream! According to my calculations 5 g cream will contain 0.5 mg estriol as it is 0.01 %. One tube contains 80 g which would be 16 doses so lasting 8 weeks on a maintenance dose of twice weekly (not twice daily!). Does this sound about right?

The dose is designed to give the same effect as Vagifem - but I can't find the paper where they were compared so not sure which dose of Vagifem.

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 10:03:40 AM »

janm
I had the same trouble with all the creams - they seemed to burn and irritate so in fact made things feel worse not better. Apparently it's the fillers that can cause problems.
Estring has no fillers and as long as you aren't allergic to latex it should be fine.  I like the fact there is no mess!!! DG x