Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Longest Gap Between Periods?  (Read 6726 times)

Machair

Longest Gap Between Periods?
« on: June 06, 2014, 08:25:06 AM »

Having a gap now of 11 months I am soon to be officially menopausal! However I feel very much like I am cycling again after about 6 months of feeling nothing. I have had about 3 weeks of ovulatory mucus and breast soreness coupled with no night sweats at all, whereas previously I was awake many time a night boiled! So now I am expecting a bleed which of course I will have to get checked out according to NHS guidelines.

So my question really is for ladies who reached the year mark and were not on HRT how did you feel? Did you have another bleed close to the year, or just after, and did you have to start the countdown all over again? If you did bleed again with premenstrual symptoms did you have investigations or just accept it as part of the change?

I suppose hormonal decline isn't a straight line and we have ups and downs. Of course I may not bleed at all. Did any of you have premenstrual symptoms in the year after meno such as the ovulatory mucus and not see a bleed?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:32:25 AM by Machair »

bunnie

Re: Longest Gap Between Periods?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 09:22:59 AM »

:'( This has just happened to me I went 6months then had a period and now I have just done 11 months and had one Grrrr! And I have had a terrible fuzzy head for a month now >:(

Machair

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:55:02 AM »

Thank you Bunnie for that! Seems we are similar! Did you think a period was coming did you have signs? I don't know if I will actually bleed but I feel like I will but you never know!

I guess you are not going to get checked out as you are the right side of the 12 months?  I suppose I will have to if I start a period in a few weeks, as it will then be over the 12 months. Though I guess I have to use common sense and not rush to the doctors if it is clearly a bleed with signs it was coming. I will be glad to be free of all this hormonal chaos!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:33:37 AM by Machair »

bunnie

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »

Knew something was happening sore breasts low mood haa! And soooo tired and ratty :o

Machair

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 10:09:36 AM »

Yes low mood- I have that! I was blaming it on sleepless nights with my new puppy "Pebbles" but there is more to it than that!

bunnie

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 10:31:48 AM »

Lack of sleep won't help you will have to take Pebbles to bed with you haa! ;)

choc57

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »

Can't really help except that I went 8 months without a period and then had 2 just 28 days apart and then none for 9 months by which time the sweats were horrendous and I gave in and went on hrt so I'll never know whether I'd have had anymore natural periods, probably not though as I'm 57. I hadn't had any indications that I'd ovulated as I used to do for about 2 years but like you the hot sweats started after the period 8 months before and then stopped 2 months before my next 2 periods. Then the horrors started up again a month after my last period.
I think you should wait and see if your period comes as it does sound likely and it sounds as if you've ovulated too. Maybe it's not that unusual but perhaps a trip to the doctor is best just to get it checked out. A friend of mine had a period after her 12 months was up and she was sent for a hysteroscopy and everything was fine. I was sent for a hysteroscopy btw when my periods became erratic ( I didn't know that that's what happens in perimenopause and apparently neither did my GP!) Anyway it was fine and I was told I was menopausal, no real surprise as I was 53! :)