Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Serotonin and estrogens  (Read 5135 times)

Milamam

Serotonin and estrogens
« on: May 24, 2014, 04:22:39 AM »

Found a wonderful book on serotonin, its functions in the body and how it relates to estrogen levels in women. Key: low estrogens - low serotonin. May be explaining why I felt so low and misserable in the past three months until I tested  my estrogen levels and got on HRT.

"Secrets of Serotonin" by Carol Hart, Ph.D. - purchased it from Amazon on the Kindle. Still have not finished it but decided it is worth sharing here.

Also the book talks about antidepresants and how they function, also the research related to the doubtful effects of them on mood, etc.

Rowan

Re: Serotonin and estrogens
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 08:03:18 AM »

Thank you for the recommendation will have a look on amazon for that Milamam :)

another good read I can recommend too is

"The Care and Feeding of Your Brain" for a general view of all things that affect the brain and behavior...Kenneth Giuffre MD  you can get it for pennies on amazon.

also another book  that I have on my kindle is "The Female Brain" by  neuropsychiatrist Louann Brizendine. Fascinating!

Dyan

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 10:07:54 AM »

Thanks for that Milamam.
Would be interested in that as I'm on ADs and HRT.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 12:36:41 PM »

Milamam - if you have a look at the top of the page you will see "books". You can recommend books to be added to the list.

Taz x  :)

Melbury

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 05:51:41 PM »

I have just ordered some B12 supplements to see if they help me.  Quite astonishing when you read what B12 deficiency can cause and how low the reference range is in this country.

Js

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »

I have read a lot about serotonin and migraines and headaches did it mention anything about that in the book could it be I have low serotonin that's why. I Keep getting migraines but then what could I do about it anyway any advice

Js

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 08:23:32 PM »

Be careful with Vit.B12 as it can react badly with some older ADs ………. particularly when eating cheese, Marmite, broad beans ……..

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 07:49:31 AM »

That's interesting sparkle. One of the reasons I haven't started the Citalopram given to me by the doc is that she said it would upset my IBS even more due to " the serotonin receptors in the bowel " but that everything has side effects. Mind you mine is the diarrhoea type of IBS - maybe yours is the constipation type?

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »

I guess the only thing to do is to try each thing!

Taz x