Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Unexpected bleeding  (Read 3380 times)

Ali08

Unexpected bleeding
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:45:13 PM »

I'm Wondering if anyone has any advice or has experienced something similar? I've not had a period for 2.5 years. 3 months ago I was pursuaded by my doctor to go on HRT to try and help with horrendous night sweats and even more horrendous lack of sleeping. I was prescribed a very lose dose HRT and although the sweats disappeared within about 2 weeks I felt absolutely dreadful, ending up in A&E on a Saturday morning as I had severe stomach pains which had been going on for weeks. I had seen my doctor about this and she prescribed another, loser dose HRT but really had dismissed me as she thought my stomach pains were "nothing". Long story short, the doctor I saw at the hospital advised me that she thought it was a bad reaction to the HRT I had been prescribed and told me not to start the new HRT. I thought I would leave taking the new HRT and if the sweats didn't return I would just keep going without - the sleeping thing is something I've accepted a long time ago as being just a way of life now. However woke up yesterday morning with terrible stomach pain again and discovered I was bleeding really heavily. Phoned the surgery and was advised I MUST see the doctor which I did today and she is referring me to the gynaecology clinic at the hospital as she's "concerned" given I've not had a bleed in years. Although she's saying there's only a 1 in 1000 chance there's a problem I'm starting to worry. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Taz2

Re: Unexpected bleeding
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:53:02 PM »

Hi Ali - sorry to hear that you are going through this at the moment. I can appreciate how worried you are but the NHS guidelines are that any bleeding after a year without periods has to be investigated. Because you have been on HRT this obviously changes things a little as it could just be that the HRT has built up your womb lining and now you have stopped it the lack of progesterone has caused the lining to shed. How long ago did you stop using HRT?

Taz x

Patientone

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:01:56 PM »

If I were sharing this story, would you think it was quite possible that the HRT is the culprit?

That thought jumped right out at me as I read your post.

It's so hard to think rationally with all of this, our bodies are behaving like alien bodies, not ones we've lived in 40+ years. I have not freaked out over so many things in my life as I have during these last 4 years of peri. Ugh !

Of course the only way to be positive is to have it checked out but I'm willing to bet you are fine :-)

{{{hugs to you}}}

Ali08

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 11:12:26 PM »

Thanks ladies. I'm absolutely sure everything is ok but you just panic as soon as the doctor says let's get this checked out. I was only on HRT for 4/5 weeks and can't believe that it could have "mucked up" everything in such a short space of time and at the lowest dose possible! I'm sure my doctor is sick to the back teeth of seeing me!! I've never been I'll in my whole (almost) 51 years and now I'm never away from my surgery - first name terms now with my doc, think I'm going to ask her if she fancies "hanging out" sometime haha. X

Ali08

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 11:14:16 PM »

Oops predictive text! Should have said "ill" not "I'll" x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »

Hi Ali08

As has been said it's more than likely due to the HRT as Taz says - but if your lining was perhaps already a little thicker than normal, then taking the HRT and stopping it could cause it to be shed - hence the bleed. Theoretically the HRT you were taking should prevent a build-up in lining - so perhaps the lining was there already, or maybe you have a fibroid which was stimulated by the oestrogen in the HRT? Whatever the reason it is important to be investigated just to make sure all is oK.

Hurdity x