Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Citalopram  (Read 8490 times)

Joyce

Citalopram
« on: June 05, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »

Have been to GP this morning. I've to see a "listener" to discuss my anxiety issues later in the month. Shes's a hospital chaplain. Not sure how I feel about that, but will give it a go. Blood tests later today, to rule out anything else. She has also suggested Citalopram. I've looked up the blurb online & on here. Not sure I want to go down that route. Her other option was Diazapam for occasional use. So many meds make me  :sick02: I really don't know what to do, but know I can't stand being so jittery all the time. I know some of you have been on this & been fine, others not so.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Milamam

Re: Citalopram
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:36:57 AM »

Hi CG, I am on citalopram 20mg /day for 9 months now. It hasnt done much for my anxiety but I don't want to change to another AD roght now before I see how the HRT will afect that part of my symptoms. What I know usually the doctors give some ani-anxiety med to go along with the AD for,the first few weeks until the AD kicks in in full. So if you go on citalopram it will be best to also take the diasepam for a short period of time. This is just my personal opinion I am not a doctor.

On dr has said to,me that sertraline is much better for anxiety and PMT type symptoms but unfortunatly It didn't work,well for me and I quickly switched back to citalopram. It is a very well tolerated drug, i didn't feel any side effects whatsoever!

Good luck!

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »

I tried it and it made me feel very unwell. I was so disappointed as I desperately wanted something to work. I have always been sensitive to meds so I was not surprised really. The thing is you won't know till you try and if they don't suit then the side effects wear off quickly. I should have persevered but I hate being sick.

I would still love to have something that just worked but I guess that's not going to happen for me. Hopefully you will have much more luck than I did.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 01:54:26 PM »

Talking therapy can help enormously - discuss, decide, ditch

Why not betablockas to help anxiety surges? however, I used Diazapam/Valium on an as-needed basis throughout the 1990s with good effect.  Knowing it worked meant that I didn't need more than 10mg at night and if necessary another tablet the following morning, made me a bit woozy but at least I got through what ever it was I HAD to go to! even visiting with family  :-\

I also take 5mg Cipralex at night and in the morning - same family as Citalopram ;-)

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 04:06:28 PM »

Not allowed beta blockers as I have asthma. Diazapam is only alternative.  Hopefully speaking to a neutral will help put things in perspective.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »

Have you had anxiety issues for a long time cubagirl, or only since greatly reducing HRT? Sounds like the talking option first is a good one - before trying medication - especially if it makes you feel ill.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »

Aahhh - so BBs are out.  How about yoga or relaxation therapy too?

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »

I did mention the reduction in HRT. To stay as I am as coping with the flushes. Doctor thinks it's been caused by everything which has happened over the last 10 weeks or so. I felt bit stupid this morning. I know there's worse than me, but just felt I was no longer in control. I've had little blips before, situational anxiety it's called, but never ever felt this bad before. Hopefully this will all pass in good time without the need for prescribed meds.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »

Of course others have 'worse' to deal with but this is your problem and a very real, in your face situation ........

Rest as much as you can.  Doze if possible.  You've had a roller coaster!  Also, how about journalling what happened in the last few weeks, really letting it 'out'.  Helped me no end  ::) ....... I picked up the pen and was writing 4 hours later.  Then I shredded it all .....
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:48:39 PM by CLKD »

mazzy

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 07:29:59 PM »

Writing everything down did it for me and then I burnt it. I found it was a good way of letting go to bad situations.

You have been through a lot of the last few weeks so as CLKD said take some rest.

:hug:

Mazzy

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 08:05:22 PM »

I did think about that, but gave notebook to GD to compile a diary when she was up here. She gave up after about 5 days, boring she called it.  ;)

Mrs January

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 09:22:15 PM »

Hi Cubagirl

Bless you , you have been under so much strain recently.

I do take Citralopam 30mgs daily, it works for me and doc says tis replacing the serotonin my mind struggled to make at time of anxiety. I am a nurse and hold no shame now in taking meds, my life is better for it and I am happier. Initially to left me jittery for a few weeks at the start now I have not one issue with it.

What about time away at a spa or something to chill and relax??? then decide on meds if that leaves you the same. I have also used Kalms tablets in the past

Lotsa Hugs

Mrs January xxx

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 06:46:40 AM »

Hi Mrs J, I bought Kalms at beginning of week. They eased things a little for couple of hours, but then anxiety returned. I know there's no shame in taking anything, if it helps. My main fear is that my mum was put on meds for anxiety in her early 40s. It was over 30 years later before she was taken off them.  I'm planning a spa visit. Son gave me money for my birthday to treat myself to a treatment or two. So that's what I'm going to do. A massage & a facial are in order.

Mrs January

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »

Hi Cubagirl

Sounds like a good idea. Try Kalms hun....do you drink caffeine??? alcohol??? I gave them both up too.

The spa break will help you no end. My mother did Valium for years when I was growing up so I know how you may feel. If we were diabetic we would take meds, so why not while out feelings need a little help too?? just a thought. I have may friends taking AD's and functioning fine. Years ago I have post natal depression and coped without AD, despite begin almost admitted to hops, this time I wasn't up for the fight so accepted meds....

Lotsa Hugs

Mrs J xxxx

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 07:10:30 AM »

I would have loved to have had something to help me but it didn't work.
I have diazepam and take them very rarely but I know they are there if I need them. I think I have had about 8 in six months.

I wonder why there are so many of us like this. Competent women who have had kids, worked, enjoyed life now battling this thing. Is it all simply hormonal. I have anxiety on HRT and off it. It makes no difference to me. Why are things that we took in our stride now so bloody difficult.  :-\

Honeyb
x
Pages: [1] 2