Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Trying to explain the symptoms of Perimenopause to my boss!!!!  (Read 14681 times)

Limpy

Re: Trying to explain the symptoms of Perimenopause to my boss!!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2014, 05:21:55 PM »

You say the union were involved, could you speak to them and get their advice?
Also - CLKDs comments look very helpful.
Good luck.

Linsey44

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »

Hi CLKD thanks for your input.  I work for a large company with clear absence policy although it doesnt state how much absence an individual would have before they would terminate your employment.  It does state it is an option to them.

I was given a first warning and if i am absent again within 12 months of todays date then it would go to the next stage of the policy.

I will be off again as I am starting  process for more risk reducing surgery and as of yet i dont have an exact timescale for it.  I certainly wont be waiting until my absence slate is clean again if the opportunity arises.

Let them sack me I would take it to tribunal if i need to.  Done that before when a company tried to intimidate me as an 18yr old. They lost.

I would be happy if they offered to make me redundant. Take the package and go. Lol
Thanks again X

Linsey44

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 05:26:43 PM »

Hi Limpy, the union were consulted when the policy was devised.  Im not in a union.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2014, 07:12:35 PM »

I don't think any Company is allowed to sack someone for genuine illness time off. If your Company has a 'clear absence policy' then somewhere in that Document should state the exact reasons for absence that would lead to the employee being dismissed!  This is giving mixed messages.

If a person is not pulling their weight due to illness is a different situation but as the Company is aware that you have and will be taking time off, it's up to them to arrange cover for those times, it's not like it's an emergency.  CAB would be my point of call or my Solicitor as I don't believe in Unions because they have so much power, however ………

Limpy

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2014, 07:22:52 PM »

Hi Linsey, the union may have been involved in devising the policy but have they had any involvement in your specific case?

Your absences haven't been taken on a whim there was a medical reason. The union may still advise if requested, or do you want to keep away from them? They could possibly assist if it goes to tribunal. Though I would think you should win anyway, if there's any justice in the world. You'd had surgery...........

tiger74

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2014, 07:53:33 PM »

Unfortunately, this sounds like fairly standard procedure and if you're not a member of the union obviously they can't represent you.

Your attitude sounds spot-on - don't "go the extra mile" in future.  Your health is more important and if you have the opportunity for the risk-reducing surgery it sounds like a good idea to take it. 

I wish you luck whether you decide to stay with this employer or not.
Pages: 1 2 [3]