Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: hello  (Read 2251 times)

thorntrees

hello
« on: June 06, 2014, 08:22:15 PM »

Hello everyone,been lurking for a while so thought I should join in.
I'm 64 and have been post menopause for 8 years. Unfortunately just as I was past the 1 year point I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma and had 10 months of chemo.
Got the all clear 😁 .Since then seemed to have lots of problems with hot flashes and night sweats, anxiety etc and difficult to know if after effects of chemo or menopause. No chance of HRT  given age etc.Put up with things for the last 6 years but feeling rubbish was getting me down so went to GP. Sympathetic but no answer except try ADs. Reluctantly started citalopram and after a rough few weeks they seem to be helping somewhat. Still think problems are menopause  related when I read so many of you ladies are still experiencing symptoms years after periods have stopped.GPs seem to be reluctant to acknowledge anything to do with menopause and want to find another reason-anxiety etc but reading posts on here has led me to see that so many problems
at this time of life can be attributed to hormones and that I am not imagining it all so thank you to all you lovely ladies.

Taz2

Re: hello
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:10:55 AM »

Hi thorntrees - a big welcome to the forum.

It helps so much to share what we are all going through even if there is not an easy answer - just knowing that others are feeling the same can help. It's good to hear that the citalopram are helping, even if only a little, with your symptoms. You are not imagining it!

Looking forward to learning more about you.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 08:26:55 AM »

:welcomemm:

from me too.

Honeyb
x

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »

:welcomemm:

From me too! Ju Ju xx

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »

Hi Thorntrees :welcomemm:

If HRT isn't suitable for you other medications may help.
Have a browse on the menus on the left,
It ain't easy but you are not alone.

thorntrees

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 07:19:45 PM »

Thank you for your welcome.When I saw my GP  she did tell me that some studies have shown that a low dose of citalopram can alleviate hot flushes in some women so that is why she only prescribed 10 mgs. Its been seven weeks now and after the initial side effects wore off(and not everyone gets those)I have had less flushes and night sweats and generally felt better so I am hoping I am one of the lucky ones! When I was given the 5year OK from cancer the Oncologist did say that some people do suffer flushes after chemo for many years so it seems like what with that and menopause I have been hit by a double whammy.I would say though that if you can't take HRT its worth giving citalopram a try.There is a stigma still attached to ADs but I had to come to terms with the fact that I needed some help. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.