Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: utrogestan  (Read 3979 times)

sue23

utrogestan
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:11:23 PM »

:(hi I have had a hysterectomy 7 years ago, tried lots of HRT,S have no womb, could I try utrogestan,thanks

Hurdity

Re: utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:22:37 PM »

Hi sue23

Short answer - no!

Depending on your age you should (or could!) be taking oestrogen to protect your bones but as you've had a hysterectomy you don't need to take any progesterone as the extra is only needed to protect the womb lining from thickening. You continue to make sufficient progesterone post-menopause.

What are you looking for HRT to do, which types have you tried and why don't you like them?

Hurdity x

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:01:49 PM »

Not sure about making sufficient progesterone post menopause

"While a woman's estrogen may eventually drop 40-60% below her baseline level by menopause, her progesterone level can drop even more dramatically. Although the adrenal glands still produce some progesterone, the decline in progesterone upsets the body's natural hormone balance. Following menopause, a woman's progesterone level drops to nearly zero"

sue23 trying utrogestan if you have had an hysterectomy would be like using a hammer to crack a nut, with or without your ovaries, far too high a dose.

Many women on for example on  hystersisters.com use estrogen of their choice and natural progesterone cream if they want to supplement progesterone, men make progesterone too, but a women after menopause makes practically none, many doctors think that even if you have had a hysterectomy its wise to supplement progesterone with estrogen to obtain a balance as progesterone has many roles besides limiting the build up of the womb lining.

Its a personal choice if you have had a hysterectomy whether you use it or not though. You may feel better on estrogen alone.

lancashirelass

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »

i would say yes if you have a history of endometriosis in particular.  i have used it as i had this and have had a hyst.  patsy kensit also mentioned on this morning she uses it as she had a hyst due to cysts.  i am a great believer that not one size fits all with hrt  and that if you do not feel right then try it. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:30:32 PM by lancashirelass »

Sleepless D

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »

Hi
I have had a total hyst and use it with my oestrogen.

I find I need it to balance the oestrogen.