Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Post menpausal bleeding  (Read 4858 times)

Elaine2829

Post menpausal bleeding
« on: May 30, 2014, 07:14:46 PM »

Hi everyone,

Firstly thanks to admin for confirming my registration.

Secondly I apologise in advance for my first post being so long and quite graphic.

I'm worried. Last Saturday completely out of the blue I noticed dark coloured marks on the toilet tissue the sort I used to get at the end of my period, only a little bit and not enough to stain clothes. It has been present ever since, though not every time I go to the toilet. I also have very slight period pains and two weeks ago my boobs were extremely sensitive for over a week. I last had a normal (but very very painful) period over 2 years ago and after 'Googling', I found this site and read a post on here. I saw my GP on Wednesday (the first app I could get) had an exam and been advised that I will be referred for an urgent app (urgent she said, was within two weeks, so I should expect a letter within the next few days). I seemed to sail through the menopause with the occasional 'personal summer' and one very very painful final period. Thoughts please? Thanks, Elaine

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post menpausal bleeding
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 11:05:42 PM »

:welcomemm:  sounds 'within normal limits' to me.  Hormones still floating around  ::) ……… have some panty liners to hand in case you 'leak'.  My periods came and went with various amounts of flow but less than my 'usual', eventually they waned completely ………… I still had vague symptoms though ……..

Are you able to tell us what symptoms you saw your GP with?  She is probably following recent protocol about getting ladies seen if they present with certain complaints …….

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:19:25 PM »

Hi Elaine - welcome to the forum. You will find friendship and lots of advice and understanding on here.

Sorry that you are going through such a worrying time but it is really good that you consulted your GP so promptly. Any vaginal bleeding after a year without periods must be investigated and, as CLKD said, NHS guidelines are that you have to be seen within a set amount of time to rule out any problems.

It seems to me a good sign that you have experienced pre-period symptoms which does seem to relate to a hormonal surge but better to be safe than sorry.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz  :welcomemm:

ann58

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »

I went 18 months without a period and then they started again. I had them for another year (not very regular though) and then they stopped again.

Elaine2829

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »

Hi, thanks so much for your welcome and replies. In response to CLKD, I told her about the bleeding albeit very slight, the painful boobs and the period type pains I was getting. As of late last night the 'bleeding' seems to have stopped but I now have constant low level period pain. The GP advised that an urgent referral was normal procedure for someone presenting my symptoms and explained possible causes starting with the least worrying to the most worrying but stressed that there were many causes in between the two. I did not mention to her that I don't seem to have all the symptoms of having gone through the change namely dryness and for a while now I have been having to pluck a grey :( hair from my chin every few months, but I have only just realised that I haven't had to do this since last year. By the way I am 55. Thanks again for your advice and support.

Machair

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »

That is really interesting Ann58. Did you seek medical advice after the eighteen month gap or did you just accept this was part of the change? I have gone 11 months but feel I might start again as I have had a couple of weeks of stretchy mucus and have been sleeping better.

ann58

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »

I just accepted it at first until they got really heavy and were lasting 3 weeks. I had a scan which showed I had a polyp which I had removed.

Elaine2829

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »

Hi everyone, as promised an update from me. Had my appointment this morning had the scan then the one with a probe inserted. Shortly afterwards I saw the consultant who advised that I had a thickening of the lining  so would need another procedure, a hysteroscopy. This was also carried out (more or less pain free) and I was told I have two polyps which although aren't causing her, the consultant, concern they should be removed. This is being done on Thursday of this week under a general. Elaine x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »

Glad it's all progressing smoothly. I presume it was the polyps causing the bleeding?

So - what are they proposing to do regarding the thickened lining, or is the thickening just due to the polyps?

Good luck with the op anyway - that is very quick!

Hurdity x

Elaine2829

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »

Hi all, further update. Op went very well, admitted at 11.30 am, in theatre 1.35 pm (last time I looked at the clock) back on ward 2.25 pm (next time I saw a clock), phoned home at 4.50 pm and got home at 5.15 pm (would have been home earlier but hubby got caught in the rush hour traffic coming to fetch me and we got caught in it on the way back too). It would seem that finding the 'two sizeable polyps' was accidental and it was a hormone surge causing the bleeding. Waiting for lab results but they are not expecting anything untoward to come back. Staff at the first hospital on Monday were great and those at the second on Thursday were the same, all staff were reassuring and explained what they were doing as they worked. I sincerely hope that anyone else having these procedures is somewhat reassured by my experience. Thanks again, Elaine x

Machair

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 09:51:47 AM »

Wonderful news - so happy for you
xx

tracstu

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 07:41:17 PM »

Hi Elaine so pleased everything has gone so well for you. I am in the 2 week stage waiting for an urgent appointment after a similar history to yours. Everybody on line has offered brilliant advice and words of comfort. I am amazed how quickly everything happened for you. How are you feeling now?