Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Acid reflux?  (Read 95206 times)

Kelly

Re: Acid reflux?
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2014, 06:22:32 PM »

We get a lot of conflicting opinions don't we epecially from different docs!  I sometimes wonder if my throat is hormone related or burning mouth syndrome even .my heartburn was treated so easily .did anyone get tested for allergies and how do you go about it .
my hubbies heartburn was mild Sparkle so he only uses gum occasionally I don't think it should be done everyday.  I would hate to advise you to do anything that made you suffer even more. I think there was an artcle in a paper about it and that's where everyone is getting it from.

Xxxxxxxxx

Kelly

« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2014, 07:01:04 AM »

This Thursday Sparkle but this is  the young consultant who told me to stop thinking about my throat. Easier said than done. My hubby s coming in with me  this time as I often get upset. I have been emailing dr Currie and she suggests low Hrt for me as she has seen others with the same symptons.  After this appointment after all I have said about keeping away from Hrt  I might try it. My life is on hold at moment
And I will try anything.  Once you pay the initial payment Byou can mail Dr Curre several times and then bring the emails to the doctor. My doctor had heard of her .why oh why don't they recommend this site and magazine to people. Why docs act said the menopause doesn't cause stuff ! It's so much more than hot flushes.
Xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2014, 01:55:51 PM »

You each need to listen to what the Consultant suggests and work with it.  That is why we see a Consultant, in order to get the medication required prior to further investigations.  I have never had a sore throat with reflux.  Currently I've eaten a late lunch and I can feel the back of my throat 'suggesting' heartburn so am sitting up. 

I used to love chewing gum but found many years ago that I had 'wind' if I chewed too often.  Now I use it for keeping my mouth fresh if I can't get to a sink with my toothbrush.  Any one remember the gum in the yellow packet?  Yummy  ::)

Alcohol can cause heartburn.  Spiced foods ……….. which is what I ate a few moments ago, probably causing the heartburn feelings  :( ……….. sore throat can be caused by post nasal drip or even dental problems if there is a slow 'leak' of infection. 

chloe

« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2014, 05:24:09 PM »

To Sparkle and  Kelly - I only use the chewing gum when the acid is bad and my mouth is burning from it. I use any gum and it has helped me. I don't use it everyday only occasionally and as soon as I feel it easing I take it out.

I don't have a sore throat only the burning mouth and lips, I did read on the burning mouth syndrome as this was my first symptom before all the indigestion and lump in the throat started and as I have gum disease it's all related. Now I am wondering if it is more to do with whatever is causing me to feel like this at the moment.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:56:59 PM by chloe »

chloe

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2014, 08:39:22 PM »

Sparkle. I don't know I have read it is hormonal but also it could be due to the acid coming up so much it is burning my mouth. I guess the consultant will be able to find that out when I have the endoscopy. I was put on another tablet for 2 weeks only which tightened the top part of the stomach so it couldn't release any acid and I felt fine whilst taking them but have read you can't be on them long.

honeybun

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2014, 06:17:18 AM »

I also have diverticulitis but have never been sure how to treat it. What symptoms do you get sparkle and what meds do you take.

Honeyb
x

honeybun

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2014, 06:50:57 AM »

Not really. It was a diagnosis by my GP. He did want me to see someone but when I asked if there was a cure he said no so being a coward I did not bother.
I sometimes have the lower left side ache and it can make me feel a bit sick. I have IBS but the D type so constipation is not an issue. I take Buscopan occasionally and watch my diet. Also started a new pro biotic which is supposed to be good.

Don't really think there is much else you can do. I did Google it and scared myself silly so just have to hope it stays as it is and does not turn into anything nasty.

Never ends does it   ::)

Honeyb
x

honeybun

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2014, 07:12:33 AM »

I agree, but sometimes don't you just wonder what else will pop up. I sometimes struggle to remember what feeling really well and normal was like. Maybe it's exacerbated by meno but then again it could be just getting older.
Whatever the reason I get fed up with it as I'm sure you do too.

Onwards and upwards I guess, not much else we can do. And on that cheery note  ::)

Honeyb
x

Kelly

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »

Haven't had any constipation with double   omezprazole Sparkle. But I do drink loads and loads of water because of my throat. Mind you I hve only been on it for 3 weeks and I only want to take double for max of 6 weeks .if it hasn't cured my throat by then its not working. I will keep you posted for Thursday but  I am so fed up  I don't expect much.   I feel for you Chloe and if chewing gum helps do it. Anything for relief.
Xxxxxxx

Kelly

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2014, 08:57:59 PM »

Oh Sparkle after only about 5 days taking two of them  daily tonight I feel so uncomfortable  in my upper chest area and seem to have more throat clearing and dreaded burping. I am not having the second one tonight as I just don't feel right especially with a sore throat that feels even drier . I think you are right about taking double. But docs and one consultant told me to double dose . I think it might be one of their stock answers.   

Hope it all passes soon. We're you  feeling okay before you started the 40 g .

Xxxxxxx

honeybun

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »

Have any of you tried Nexium. It's quite strong but seems to be one with the least side effects. I tolerated that one really quite well.
Might be worth changing from the PPIs that cause most side effects.
There are quite a few choices so a change can be beneficial.

Honeyb
x

dahliagirl

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »

Thread may have moved on but......

I get sore throat and itchy roof of mouth from silver birch pollen allergy.  When it is bad and I go into the garden, I get itchy eyes, sneezing, snot and more snot, feel tired and grotty and cough. It is something that has come on over the last 15 years and was worse this year.

I also get a similar reaction to raw apples, peaches and nectarines, cherries and some raw nuts. (oral allergy syndrome/food pollen syndrome)

It took me 10 years to realise why I always had a sore throat and kept sneezing and it has got worse recently and I am wondering if you just get more sensitive at menopause.

Kelly

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2014, 08:19:53 AM »

Hi Dahliagirl how did you find out what it was  and how are you treating it. Were you suffering for ten years how awful!
Can't change anything yet Honeybun as I have only just started the omezprazole so havnt been on it for a month yet.  After  6 weeks I will  be probably be  trying without them for a while .
Sparke I am gonna get one of those too . I am on four pillows at the moment .
Seriously thinking of asking for low Hrt if thing not improved by beginning of July .

Love to all us poor girls
Xxxxxx

dahliagirl

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2014, 09:27:52 AM »

Hi- it really has gone on for years and I just put up with it. It has gradually got worse and I have blamed tonsils, wisdom teeth, ear infection, had thyroid checked.  I didn't really connect it to the sneezing.  For a while, I thought it might be gorse, then someone said they had silver birch allergy and I realised that flowered at the same time - we have 4 in the garden.  My son's bedroom makes me sneeze violently so for a while I thought it was him!

I had a reaction to nectarine recently, where my lips swelled up (think 'trout pout') and found out that is connected.  There is some good info on the Allergy UK website.  The Met Office website has graphs of which pollens are prevalent and when.  I probably need to confirm it with the doctor, but I know they do not do allergy testing round here as a matter of course.

Cooked food is ok, but I am realising that peeling veg can cause more sneezing  :(  Peanuts are a bit iffy too, but I don't like them.  It is often the non-mainstream varieties of fruit that are worst.

Kelly

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »

Hi Dahliagirl I just have sore throat all the time so not sure if its allergy . i dont have sneezing and no relief if I am indoors or anything .
Who does the allergy testing . Does doc refer you?
Xx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13