Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Beauty tips  (Read 19853 times)

Morwenna

Re: Beauty tips
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 12:00:09 PM »

Last year I started to suffer very dry hard cracked skin on my heels. I bought one of those foot file thingies like an emery board for skin but it made my heels sore and itchy. Since the beginning of this year I've simply been scrubbing the soles of my feet and heels with a soft nailbrush and soap when I go in the shower. This has worked a treat - they are now lovely and soft and the skin is pink and healthy. When I remember I rub body butter into them but I think it's the brushing that's the key.

Best thing I have found for skin is dry body brushing, it firms and smoothers  skin so that it feels like silk, gently buffering facial skin brightens and tightens too.

What do you buff your face with Silverlady? I have rosacea and find anything I do to my face makes it temporarily redder and spottier  :(

Wombat

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 02:13:07 PM »

Vaseline on the hands at nigh really helps too and very cheap !!

I also use it on my heels at sandal time

Wombat x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »

I used to get cracked heels due to being in wellies all day  ::) and found the only thing that helped healing was Savlon, pushed deep into the skin .........

Now - does DH stroking my skin count as 'body brushing'  ;)

Rowan

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 04:35:09 PM »

Morwenna I would not exfoliate the face if you have Rosacea, your skin will easily inflame, so a very gentle approach to skin care is best. A muslin cloth may be a better approach and even that may be too much. 

For my face I have a Microfiber Exfoliating  Facial Mitt/Cosmetic Glove one side is chamoise  the other side is microfiber to exfoliate,  its very gentle.

To calm Rosacea a cream called Dermalex Repair skin treatment for Rosacea and Couperose is very good, Boots sell it.

tiger74

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 06:31:11 PM »

Another beauty tip...

I had my eyebrows 'tattooed' (semi-permanent make-up) about a year ago - I love them.  Thoroughly recommended for anyone who over-plucked in the past or who has thinning/sparse/indistinct eyebrows.

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 06:53:28 PM »

I use Clinique foundation. I went to Debenhams and a very nice young lady helped me get a good shade match. I don't like anything too heavy so find Cliniquie ideal.

I also use a muslin cloth for make up removal. Liz Earle is great for that.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 07:28:15 PM »

Thanks Tiger - where'd you go for that?  I was thinking that I might go into JL and ask at their Beauty Counter for advice ……..  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »

Advice on what CLKD. Make up, skin care....they don't do tattoos.

The girls in the big store are really good and will do your face for you. They do expect a sale though.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 08:03:09 PM »

Eyebrow shaping  ;) ……….   and they are unlikely to get a sale however hard they work, as I'm there for advice ……… I did pay for an eyebrow tweezering but she didn't do any shaping ……… for a tenner  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »

You need to go to a beauty salon for that not JL. All they will do is try to sell you an eyebrow pencil and an eyebrow brush to shape things.

The girls that work on the counters generally make up some wages with sales commission, at least they did when I worked in that kind of place. They don't mind giving general advice but they won't do a makeover without the promise of a sale.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 08:24:01 PM »

:thankyou:  I have seen places in the Centre that do eyebrow waxing in FRONT of people  :o not for me …. someone I know might walk by and that would give the game away  ;D

Meno-meet for a beauty weekend maybe?  Spa anyone ……….

Wombat

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 08:32:03 PM »

Sounds heavenly.... 8)

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »

However: I would need a week to de-fuzz etc. ………..  :P

tiger74

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2014, 08:58:53 PM »

Re: semi permanent make-up (eyebrows), I did a lot of research and rang several places.  My main concerns were that whoever I got to do the job didn't give me the 'hard sell' and was experienced and hygienic.  I ended up at a beauty salon quite some distance away (in Cheltenham) and checked out their credentials for 'tattooing' beforehand with the local council http://www.studio19cheltenham.com/index.htm

Fantastic results and money well spent as far as I'm concerned.  Eyeliner can also be applied in a similar way but I am a little too squeamish for that.   
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:39:27 PM by tiger74 »

Galadriel

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2014, 07:12:55 PM »

I use a little slick of Vaseline to keep my eyebrows in shape once I've finished doing my make-up. Dirt cheap and works a treat.

Galadriel x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6