Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Summer Solstice Stonehenge  (Read 9778 times)

Taz2

Summer Solstice Stonehenge
« on: May 27, 2014, 07:55:03 AM »

The only day of the year when you can actually touch the stones http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/stonehenge/summer-solstice/?lang=en

I can't understand why the last entry to the car park is at 6 a.m. on the 21st June. The sunrise will be long gone by then!

Taz x

Scampi

Re: Summer Solstice Stonehenge
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 08:12:26 AM »

You can get right up to the stones on many days - you can book private access before or after the normal opening hours.  Despite being Wiccan, I wouldn't want to be at Stonehenge for the Solstice - far too crowded and noisy.  I much prefer to see the sunrise somewhere peaceful.  But I'd love to have a private visit one day - if only it wasn't so far away.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 08:20:13 AM »

You can but it costs, usually, over a £100 per ticket for the private access tours and they are usually linked in to other places such as Windsor or Bath. Not many people can afford that. Avebury is much more my sort of place and you only have to pay to park the car if you're not in English Heritage or National Trust when it's free.

They are both half an hours drive from me so I'm spoilt for choice!

Taz x

Scampi

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:17:17 AM »

Oh no - they must have changed it since they opened the new centre - it used to be about £20!!

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:23:28 AM »

Yes it has changed a lot it seems. You are now encouraged to pre-book your "timed" ticket. There are some "walk-up" tickets available each day. It's £15.00 per person for an ordinary ticket so maybe your £20 private access tickets were a while ago? I think a family can still get in for just under £40. I haven't been since they changed it.

Taz x

Scampi

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »

Last time I looked at private access tickets, they were only a few pounds more than the 'normal' tickets.  They were available on certain days (always booked in advance) before or after the usual opening hours.  You had to fill in a booking form listing all members of your party and stating what you intended to do during your visit (rituals, etc) - there were restrictions on what you could and couldn't take into the circle.  My friends and I thought it was great that English Heritage were allowing this access to use the circle as we felt it should be - it's a real shame if that access and usage has been stopped.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »

It's a load of rather small stones that have been moved around even as late as the 1960s  ::) ……… far better view and more ethereal driving down the road towards them, haven't been to Avebury yet …. on our 'list'  ;)

Scampi

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:04:08 PM »

I have visited Stonehenge and I loved it - certainly more than 'rather small stones'.  And for me, it had a real 'spiritual' feel to it - rather like some people would feel in a church.  I would love to go again, and I am truly saddened that I will not be able to experience the place on my own.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 01:00:11 PM »

I can only find companies such as this advertising private access http://www.stonehenge-stone-circle.co.uk/private-stonehenge-tours.htm  but it could be that they are still available.

CLKD - Avebury is lovely and covers quite a large area. If you decide to go it's well worth reading up on it before hand. http://www.avebury-web.co.uk/

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »

Long way to go for me in both directions.

I am happy on a quiet beach watching the sunrise if the notion takes me. Now that is not far away at all.  :)

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 12:20:58 PM »

Rowan

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »

Just posted it on my facebook Taz.

Witches Cat

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 03:30:20 PM »

Signed it and posted it on my facebook too, a relative's already done the same after seeing it on mine... wouldn't it be lovely if it was unfenced and open to everyone all the time again?       :D

Wombat

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 08:26:14 PM »

Signed. 
I agree Avebury is lovely

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 11:14:29 PM »

Me to Wombat. When I've had a stressful week I take myself off there for an afternoon. It is fantastic in Winter - to watch the sun going down is amazing.

Taz x