Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: oophorectomy- still have uterus  (Read 4705 times)

lisalashes

oophorectomy- still have uterus
« on: May 19, 2014, 10:43:40 PM »

Hi
I had an oophorectomy 6 weeks ago.
My gp prescribed hrt containing progesterone, even though ive not been able to take contraceptive pills with progesterone in previously.
I had my op because of severe PMS and at the moment I feel worse than before the operation, like im on an emotional rollercoaster!
My gp tells me that i need progesterone as i still have my uterus and am only 43.
I'm so confused and upset, I can't carry on feeling like this...can anybody help/advise please?

Thanks

Lisa x

Taz2

Re: oophorectomy- still have uterus
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:05:24 PM »

Hi lisa - welcome to the forum. You will find lots of help and friendship on here.

If you have had your ovaries removed then you will have been plunged straight into surgical menopause which means the symptoms can be quite severe.

Your GP is right in that you need progesterone containing HRT to stop a build up of your womb lining which can lead to endometrial cancer.

You will need to take HRT in order to protect your heart and bones up to the usual age of menopause which is thought to be around 50/51. Usually your ovaries will have been producing this hormone so you are merely replacing what should have been yours. The risks up to the normal menopause age are negligible.

Which HRT have you been given?

Taz x  :)

Linsey44

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:33:14 PM »

Hi Lisa

Welcome to MM, I haven't been on here that long but its informative and fun.

I am 44 and had ovaries and tubes removed 7 weeks ago, but I had a hysterectomy last year. Due to previous history of adenomyosis I was prescribed tibolone (livial) which so far is working, this is a continuous combined hrt.

I just wanted to reassure you that hrt isn't all bad and the progesterone is really needed as Taz says.  Have you started your hrt

Also up until the 6 week mark I was very weepy, hot flushes, insomnia etc,  This is the first week that I feel quite good.  On top of the surgical meno your body is recovering from surgery so please don't expect too much of yourself.
 :)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:24:08 PM »

Hi lisalashes

Just wanted to say :welcomemm: from me too.

Also, depending on what sort of symptoms of pms you had and when, it is important that you do have the right type of progesterone as part of your HRT - because this might have contributed to it, and particularly as you say you couldn't take the pill before.

So - as well as knowing the type of HRT, as Taz asked, also which contraceptive pills did you try -because you will want to avoid the HRT containing the same ones that disagreed with you in the pill!

Hurdity x

lisalashes

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 08:37:12 AM »

Hi Girls,
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it!
I went back to my gp yesterday and told her that I had been behaving like a banshee on the hrt prescribed- femoston. She said she couldn't understand why my consultant hadn't recommended a full hysterectomy due to the issue of me reacting to progesterone so badly.
She has prescribed elleste duet conti 2mg and if they don't work, she is going to recommend that I have my uterus removed. 
I just feel so cheated, had my oophorectomy for severe pmt and it appears now that it has been a waste of time.
I am so scared to take this new hrt incase I feel as bad as I did on the previous one.  :'(

Lisa x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 09:24:16 AM »

Hi Lisa - so sorry that things are still not good. I agree with your GP that it seems ridiculous that your uterus wasn't also removed. I have found this blog online and wondered if it would be helpful? https://msjekyllhyde.wordpress.com/about/  Sorry if you already know of it.

Taz x

lisalashes

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »

Awwh thanks Taz, will have a look at that!  :)

Lisa x

lisalashes

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »

Very interesting article, thanks very much!
Think I may have to get in touch with my consultant but don't really fancy another operation. :(

L x