Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Itchy outer labia / hood of clitoris  (Read 74977 times)

Flunder

Itchy outer labia / hood of clitoris
« on: May 22, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »

Ok, so this is more than a little embarrassing for me  :o

I'm just going to cut to the chase and hope that someone here has some experience of this - oh, and I apologise if this has already been discussed before...

For years now I've had an increasing itch around the outer area surrounding my clitoris - far enough up toward the pubic bone for it to be considered outer labia. Initially, this seemed to happen after the birth of my second child - 17 years ago  :o - and my GP at the time noticed that I had a little tear there. She prescribed Timodene which worked for a while, but it seems wrong for me to keep asking for repeat prescriptions...

The itch is always worse in the run up to my period starting, so I'm convinced it's hormone-related.

Nowadays, I seem to be itchy there on a constant basis. I'm 50 and using ReplensMD fairly regularly, as I feel so much drier 'down there' these days. But the ReplensMD doesn't affect my outer labia or vulval area... Worse still, the itch seems to travel to my clitoris and I know I'm scratching in my sleep, which in turn is making my clitoris less responsive to normal stimulation...

I've tried using aqueous cream for washing. I avoid using soaps / shower gels down there (and always have). But nothing seems to help. I have to add that I use panty pads on a daily basis - just the thin type - and I'm sure they don't help, but I can't bear the thought of messing up my underwear...

I can't even get a good night's sleep because I scratch while I'm sleeping. Subsequently, I wake up sore  :(

Am I odd? Has anyone else experienced this? If you have, have you found anything to help alleviate the problem? To be honest, I'm pretty desperate...

F xx

Maryjane

Re: Itchy outer labia / hood of clitoris
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 08:15:56 PM »

May be worth being referred to a dermatologist for the vaginal area. I would only use the nature care pads, no bleach etc.

I am having a really rough ride with my down belows at the moment, also have you tried antihistamines to help break the itch cycle, just have to be careful as they dry up all the mucous areas I.e vagina as well, however I would use vagifem instead of replens and try a week of antihistamines.

It is possible the nerve endings are having abit of a party, but you need to break the itch cycle, have you tried putting frozen peas between your legs to calm it down , back in the winter I slept all night with a tin of frozen baked beans wrapped in towel to calm everything down , and when I turned over in my sleep I automatically took the beans with me, also try and go knicker less as much as possible, especially at bed time as heat will make the itch worse, perhaps out thick gloves on to stop you itching. The things we have to do.x

Linsey44

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 09:19:23 PM »

Hi, what a horrible time you are both having.

I have experienced itching at times but not to the degree you have, what i found helps was a lubricant called yes and i used the water based one.  It has a high aloe vera content and i used it both internally and externally it was soothing and moisurising

Take care

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 03:16:03 PM »

I use KY jelly if I itch 'down there' ……. lots of!

Now I have pessaries twice a week …...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:20:53 PM by CLKD »

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 06:09:44 AM »

Can sympathise, had it terribly for years, tried everything, then discovered that upping my oestrogen tremendously, helped, are you on vagifem, sounds like you need some local oestrogen down there...

Melbury

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 05:54:35 PM »

I had itch and eventually when I saw an gynae was diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosis - just about lost  labia and clirotal hood altogether. :(

whitestrand

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 09:33:29 AM »

i have been on Evorel Conti Patchs for 2 months now and Im sleeping much better and feel much better (it took the 8 weeks for me to feel this good!) but I have started to bleed every so often (just after weeing!) and now have a very itcy vagina which I have never suffered from before :-\. My breasts are also very very sore but it says here that these symptoms should settle down after 6 months. Anyone have same problem? or solution
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:35:58 AM by whitestrand »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 06:10:04 PM »

Is it pale blood in the urine ?  You may have a small polyp up there but any blood should be pointed out to your GP/Practice Nurse

JeanneHC

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:24:55 AM »

Hi Flunder - I have the same problem, and while my old US doc chalked it up to psoriasis (I do have a mild case in the ears and on my elbows) I definitely think it's related to hormones since it's gotten so much worse since I've been perimenopausal.  Like you, I'm really careful about what I wash with. 

Here's what's helped for me.  I use a petroleum based moisturizer (similar to Vaseline) every day, morning and night.  That seems to help keep it bay a little.  When I get what I call "break-through" dry, flaky, scaly skin I use a steroid (Denoside 0.05%) sparingly, and use it until it clears up then switch back to the moisturizer. Because the steroid works so well, it's tempting to use it all the time but it does thin your skin so I use it as little as possible - a tube of it will last me a couple of years. 

Still get the occasional itching, and sometimes wake up raw but it's gotten better since I started switching between the moisturizer and the steroid. 

Flunder

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 05:38:49 AM »

I had itch and eventually when I saw an gynae was diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosis - just about lost  labia and clirotal hood altogether. :(

Ugh  :( Poor you. I've just googled the condition and think I may need to examine myself a little more thoroughly down there to rule this out. Sounds horrendous  :(

dahliagirl

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 12:57:14 PM »

I got this about 4 years before coming off the pill - tried thrush cream etc. (and body shop hemp handcream in desperation!)

After coming off the pill, I had an op and vagifem and it went  :)

Now I am on hrt, without the vagifem and it is coming back, so I have an appt. with the doctor to get it reinstated.  It comes with sore, flabby feelings in the inner labia and a general irritated feeling (although nothing looks too bad - maybe a bit of swelling).  Also comes with damp/wet knicker accidents  :(

No appointments for a week  :(  I will be glad to get it back, though.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 05:06:30 PM »

I definitely think you need some local oestrogen Flunder - itching is one of the symptoms of vaginal dryness - which can be a misnomer as I had a lot of pain and itching but no loss of lubrication.

Just want to add that the loss of sensation in the clitoris is a (sadly) normal part of ageing in some women so it might not be the scratching which is making it feel less responsive.

Taz x  :hug:

Melbury

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »

Dr took me off Vagifem when I was put on Oestrogel, said I didn't need it if I was getting oestrogen from the gel.

Still never feel "right" down below and sex is always painful and an extremely rare occurrence :'(

Feel sorry for OH as much as myself.

Milliemoo7

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 06:41:31 PM »

Melbury could you either see another doc or request some Ovestin cream for down there?  I have a similar issue to you but dont actually believe my diagnosis of LS since it was given when I was 19 and gynae I saw recently said she didnt believe it was that either. 

If GP wont help you maybe request a referral to gynae?  Point out that you are still suffering...

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 07:53:18 PM »

Melbury - I agree with Milliemoo. How dare your doctor presume to tell you what you need?!!!!  There are several of us on here for whom systemic HRT is not sufficient and it is well known that local oestrogen is often needed.

Either ask for a referral as Millimoo says or go back and demand that you be given Vagifem or cream. I feel for you if sex has to be painful and rare. The latter is true for me ( libido - but that's another story) but not painful,  because I am on systemic HRT ( Estradot 50 ) and Orthogynest (until they run out) or Vagifem. I have Ovestin too if I want it.

Please don't suffer - your rights to treatment are being infringed here!

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2