Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: extreme hunger -perimen  (Read 6489 times)

aloevera

extreme hunger -perimen
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »

I have noticed a massive increase in appetite during first two weeks of my cycle. I'm still have regular periods. Does anyone else have this? It seems when my hormones are rock bottom I cant seem to eat enough and I feel my blood sugar is too low. Ive not tested it. I wondered if this was a symptom of low oestrogen or maybe an adrenal thing.

Hurdity

Re: extreme hunger -perimen
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:39:42 PM »

Hi aloevera

I used to get this but it was towards the end of the cycle ie the last week - this is when the hormones are at rock bottom - oestrogen is at its peak during the middle two weeks! I think blood sugar metabolism is linked to progesterone but I haven't looked into why this is. During the week before my period, I used to go from hungry to shaky, sweaty, low blood sugar in a very short space of time. So bad that I even went to the doc about it! I didn't know anything about perimenopause at the time but it was definitely happening more extremely in my 40's which was way before menopause for me. I used to carry glucose tablets around with me (not ideal!).

Best thing is to make sure you keep your blood sugar levels up by eating little and often and low GI foods (slow release carbs especially) eg whole grains, apples, protein etc. Have a good breakfast - oats, muesli, fruit etc. You will know your hungry time - mine is in the morning.

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 04:17:15 PM »

I used to get this just before a period and when on HRT I get it for the week before a bleed begins i.e. the last week of progesterone.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:12:11 PM »

I always got the munchies before a period but my real craving was something to drink. I had to carry juice or water with me as it became unbearable very quickly. Hubby used to be sent on a fizzy drink or a certain fruit juice hunt if I had nothing in the house that I fancied. I could be unreasonably bad tempered if I could not get a drink.
I have no idea what caused this drastic thirst.

Honeyb
x

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »

I was getting the shakes mid morning, after having what I thought was a healthy breakfast, porridge. I have been told I was insulin resistant (had other symptoms) and that I should start the day with an egg, scrambled or poached on toast. I have cut out refined sugar as far as possible, eat limited amount of fruit and only with meals and try to eat other low carb foods, with loads of veg. Along with oestrogen therapy and subsequent weight lost, I no longer have those low blood sugar episodes and less cravings and hunger. I was told porridge and cereals are no longer considered a healthy start to the day. All I know is that starting the day with an egg works for me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 04:48:44 PM »

NAPS told me that this is due to low blood sugar and to eat every 3 hours.  This info saved my Life.  The idea is to make what you usually eat last over 24 hours, not to increase what you eat  ;) but add a sandwich or slow release foods and always if you have a bathroom visit in the night, to eat a biscuit before going back to sleep!

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 06:21:12 PM »

My hubby is a type 1 diabetic.

As long as you eat a healthy balanced diet there should be no problem. Your day should start with cereal or porridge or wholemeal toast. Fruit juice and yogurt are good. Nothing till lunch except maybe some fruit. Lunch, a sandwich or soup, baked beans are good.
Dinner, lean meat or fish, potatoes, plenty of veg, brown rice or pasta.
Dried fruit is good as a standby but is full of sugar.

Someone who is not diabetic should not suffer from particularly low blood sugar. Believe me if you did you would have more than the shakes.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 03:12:23 PM »

We've had this conversation before - but this low blood sugar is for a different reason so eating 3 hourly is essential - this regime saved my Life  ;) ……….. this is because of a different hormone involvement I would get suddenly nauseous to the point of having to find a loo - in case ………. and sit down and eat a banana or a couple of biscuits.  Dextrose tablets and dried mixed fruits and nuts were my main stay for many years ……… particularly when walking.  If you read walking/cycling magazines the dieticians have good ideas about how and when to eat 'correctly' to stop this crash. 

It happened to me yesterday, walking up some stairs in Bowes Museum …….. I had eaten 10 mins. before  ::)